This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7616 / 53°45'41"N
Longitude: -1.2351 / 1°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 450524
OS Northings: 429747
OS Grid: SE505297
Mapcode National: GBR MSTY.D9
Mapcode Global: WHDBW.0Q44
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 11 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326097
Location: Monk Fryston, Selby, North Yorkshire, LS25
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Monk Fryston
Built-Up Area: Monk Fryston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Monk Fryston St Wilfrid of Ripon
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 52 NW
MAIN STREET (south side)
Church of St Wilfrid
Church. Anglo Saxon origins with C13, C14, C15, C17, C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Magnesian limestone with stone slate and lead roof. West tower, three-bay aisled nave with south porch and remains of south aisle and vestry.
Three-stage tower: early C14 diagonal buttresses with off-sets to first stage. Two-light west window with Reticulated tracery. First stage band. Two-light round-headed bell-openings with shaft between to second stage. Two corbel tables. Third stage: two-light pointed bell openings with Reticulated tracery to each side. Battlements with pinnacles. Entrance under probable C20 south porch: a pointed arch with chamfered jambs.
Nave: C13 aisles and C14 clerestorey. Aisles have buttresses with off-sets. North aisle has pointed doorway in chamfered surround. Three-light, straight-headed window with panel tracery to east end of north aisle, partly recut. Embattled north aisle.
Chancel: angle buttresses with off-sets. South aisle: two-light window with Y-tracery, otherwise occupied by C19 vestry; east end has re-inserted three-light, straight-headed Perpendicular window. North aisle: plinth; two-light window with Y-tracery; two-light window with Reticulated tracery. In gable a C19 niche for statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Interior: double-chamfered pointed tower arch. Nave has C13 arcades with circular piers, broadly moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. The responds are keeled, some recut. Trefoil-headed piscina to south aisle. C13 double-chamfered chancel arch with squints to either side. Chancel has two-narrow-bay arcade to south and a two-light window with Reticulated tracery. Two C17 wall tablets. Cast-iron plaque restoration of choir by Thomas Edmunds in 1685. Font is probably C13: square on plan, each side with a flatly carved cross in a circle and above that an arch-head with a fleur-de-lys; wooden cover dated 1669 and suspended from decorated wrought-iron chain. Communion rail dated 1664. Stained glass: some medieval fragments in north and south aisle west windows, otherwise by Kempe, 1891.
Pevsner, N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp371-2.
Listing NGR: SE5052129745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings