This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3484 / 50°20'54"N
Longitude: -3.5785 / 3°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 287787
OS Northings: 51025
OS Grid: SX877510
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RJ7D
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.TYZ
Entry Name: Church of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 3 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387307
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2012
Flats 1-11, Church of St Barnabas
(Formerly listed as No.33 Church of St Barnabas)
Former chapel of ease to St Petrox, now used as a Hostel for
the Homeless, Junk Emporium, with Craft Workshops.
Nave and aisles, 1831 by Joseph Lidstone, architect, with east
end of 1884 by George H Birch, architect. Older work of
limestone rubble with freestone dressings, later work of
snecked limestone with Bathstone detail; slate roof.
PLAN: Aisled nave, linked twin turrets at the crossing, and
polygonal apse. Built on a terrace above the road. There is a
wooden verandah sheltering the steps leading up to the church
below the apse. Various vestry and parish rooms each side of
the chancel, single-storey to south, 2-storey with rear stack
EXTERIOR: Front, the east end, in French neo-Romanesque style.
Square twin turrets with open arcades below spires are linked
by an open arcade (as at Auvergne). Polygonal apse in front
with a lancet to each facet, all linked by continuous
hoodmould and string course at sill level. Timber verandah
below, Gothic with trefoil arches. To right, ground-floor
window with Y-tracery below 2 lancets with hoodmoulds. To
left, east window of south aisle is 2 lights with Y-tracery. 4
bays each side with tall 2-light windows with simple tracery
and similar 3-light window in west end. West end gable has
castellated parapet from 1831.
INTERIOR: Relatively plain. 4-bay arcades to the aisles,
square columns of painted brick with nailhead ornament to
capitals. Aisles have boarded flat ceilings and nave roof also
boarded and carried on king post trusses. Tall stone chancel
arch springing from moulded corbels. Ribbed chancel roof
boarded between. Plastered walls with plain panelled
wainscotting in aisles. Stone-flag floor to nave and aisles
and parquet floor to chancel. Aisle windows contain patterns
of opaque leaded glass but west window and chancel windows
contain C19 stained glass. A low stone wall as chancel screen.
FITTINGS: All C19. Timber screen against west wall, arcaded
with Gothic ornament, has painted texts and Commandments.
Plain, somewhat altered, timber gallery in south aisle,
infilled below. Stone font in Perpendicular style with
clustered column stem to octagonal bowl, quatrefoils on its
sides carved with leafy motifs. Remnants of timber pulpit and
various plain pine benches.
MONUMENTS: Single small, plain marble wall plaque in south
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: P.324).
Listing NGR: SX8778651038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings