This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1242 / 51°7'27"N
Longitude: -3.032 / 3°1'55"W
OS Eastings: 327870
OS Northings: 136608
OS Grid: ST278366
Mapcode National: GBR M4.9FN3
Mapcode Global: VH7DP.D0FJ
Plus Code: 9C3R4XF9+M5
Entry Name: Holy Rosary Convent, Mayfield Drive
Listing Date: 16 December 1974
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373872
Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Bridgwater
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NE DURLEIGH ROAD
736-1/7/63 (North side)
16/12/74 Holy Rosary Convent, Mayfield Drive
(Formerly Listed as:
Holy Rosary Convent)
House, later a school. c1850-1870 with C20 rear wing. Red
Wembdon rubblestone, stone dressings, plain tile roof and
cream brick diagonal shafts and moulded cornices to the
Complex L-shaped plan. Eclectic High Victorian Gothic style.
2 storeys with attics; 3-window range. Plain stone dressings
with pointed arches to each light. Moulded kneelers to copings
of Dutch gables. The range to right is stepped forward under a
large Dutch gable with a single-light attic window; a 3-light
stone-mullioned window to the first floor is above a
single-storey rectangular bay with modillion cornice to a
hipped lead roof; the boarded-up window is mullioned and
To the left a chateau-like tall hipped roof crowned by an
wrought-iron ornamental cage, has gablets to each side. A
Dutch gable to this side has a 3-light attic window, a
single-light window to left and a 2-light window to right of
the first floor over a pointed-arched Gothic-style doorcase
with engaged colonettes and scroll caps and double 3-panel
doors. To the far left is a boarded-up full-height window or
The right return, facing the garden to the south, has 3 Dutch
gables with finials, the central bay is stepped forward, its
single-storey canted bay has a hipped tiled roof and 2-light
stone mullioned windows, the bay is flanked by 4-light
stone-mullioned casements windows with moulded cornices.
The range to the right has a hipped tiled roof to a
rectangular single-storey bay. The range to the left stepped
slightly forward with 4-light casement windows all boarded up.
A C20 rear block to the right. The left return progresses in 3
steps; the entrance block to right has a single-light window
to first floor and 2-light windows to first and ground floors.
INTERIOR: 4-panel doors, high skirting boards and thick reeded
cornices to very high ceilings; polychromatic floor tiles to
entrance lobby, hall and service area, both of which have
pointed arches leading to the central hall.
To left is a stone screen of 3 pointed arches with pierced
foliate spandrels and various capitals to marble columns; the
arches to the sides have a low wall with pierced quatrefoils;
the central arch leads to an Imperial staircase with open
strings, turned balusters, fretted ends, swept and wreathed
rails and curtail step. The large stair window is 4-light with
ovolo moulding to mullions and transom. Windows to main rooms
are similar, with panelled soffits and splayed openings. The
rear service area has a closed-string staircase with stick
balusters and turned newel.
Listing NGR: ST2787036608
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings