This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8917 / 54°53'30"N
Longitude: -2.9445 / 2°56'40"W
OS Eastings: 339514
OS Northings: 555628
OS Grid: NY395556
Mapcode National: GBR 7CWW.97
Mapcode Global: WH802.R91S
Entry Name: Shaddon Mill
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386773
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Denton Holme
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3955 JUNCTION STREET
671-1/9/185 (North side)
01/06/49 Shaddon Mill
Cotton factory, now industrial units. 1835-6 for Peter Dixon
by Richard Tattersall. Squared blocks of red sandstone on
chamfered plinth with ashlar quoins; ashlar eaves band and
solid parapet. Roof, not visible from ground, is of slate with
skylights; detached chimney is listed separately.
Large 7-storey, 22-bay factory with 5-bay returns; lower-left
single-bay return engine house and 2-storey, 7-bay boiler
house; built with fireproof floors. Junction Street facade; at
each end bays project slightly for full height.
Regularly-spaced casement windows which are C20, in original
stone surround with hood cornices. The right return has
projecting central 3 bays; the last bay on the right is for
loading and has enlarged loading doorways (probably original).
The left return has many blind windows.
Engine house has large casement window with glazing bars in
stone architrave and dentilled cornice. Boiler house has
casement windows similar to the main factory. Rear of boiler
house has plank doors under Diocletian windows, some with
original radial glazing bars.
INTERIOR of factory has off-centre stone stair around lift
shaft (could be a later insertion). Cast-iron pillars support
girders and brick vaulted ceilings; floor tiles are stamped R.
ASHTON & CO, BUCKLEY (Flintshire).
Carlisle Journal (1835) records the laying of the foundations.
The boilers were installed in April and May 1836, Carlisle
Journal (1836). For illustration see Pevsner (1967); however,
he incorrectly gives Robert Tattersall as the architect.
Listing NGR: NY3951455628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings