History in Structure

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Denton Holme, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.8855 / 54°53'7"N

Longitude: -2.9469 / 2°56'48"W

OS Eastings: 339351

OS Northings: 554941

OS Grid: NY393549

Mapcode National: GBR 7CVY.SG

Mapcode Global: WH802.PGXJ

Plus Code: 9C6VV3P3+66

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386851

ID on this website: 101297399

Location: St James' Church, Longsowerby, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA2

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St James

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



671-1/15/254 (South side)
Church of St James


Church of England church. 1865-7 Anderson & Pepper of
Bradford. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered plinth (from
Cove Quarry) with flush yellow sandstone ashlar quoins (from
Howrigg), dressings, chamfer and bands of calciferous
sandstone; stepped buttresses and eaves cornice. Graduated
slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials.
5-bay nave with 3-storey SW tower, NW porch, aisles and
transepts; single-bay chancel with apsidal end. Tower has
double west doors with scrolled wrought-iron hinge brackets
under moulded pointed arch with shafts. Clasping butresses,
lancet windows on 3 levels, those in belfry are paired and
with louvres; broach spire with lucarnes. Gabled porch has
double doors in dog-tooth surround and quatrefoil over. West
geometric tracery window of 5 lights, under quatrefoil. Aisles
have 2-light windows of trefoil heads with quatrefoil. Paired
trefoil-headed lancets in clerestory. North transept/vestry
has pointed doorway up steps; trefoil-headed lancet and
quatrefoil window above south transept is similar. Chancel has
3 trefoil-headed lancets in apse.
INTERIOR: richly labelled arches terminating in carved bosses
of foliage etc, on red circular columns with carved and
moulded caps. Open timber roof, the principals springing from
ornamental columns with carved caps and bosses. Floor laid
with black and red Staffordshire tiles. Late C19 open timber
benches. Chancel arch springs from two columns on moulded
brackets and caps. Chancel has rib-vaulted ceiling rising from
small caps and bosses. Apse windows given by Thomas Nelson are
by John Scott & Son of Carlisle, see Carlisle Journal (1867)
and (1868). For further details see St James' Church,
centenary pamphlet, 1967.
(Carlisle Journal: 26 July 1867; Carlisle Journal: 3 July

Listing NGR: NY3935154941

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.