This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8908 / 54°53'26"N
Longitude: -2.9288 / 2°55'43"W
OS Eastings: 340524
OS Northings: 555507
OS Grid: NY405555
Mapcode National: GBR 7CZW.QL
Mapcode Global: WH802.ZBJJ
Entry Name: 10-30, TAIT STREET (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386876
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055 TAIT STREET
671-1/11/276 (South side)
13/11/72 Nos.10-30 (Even)
Includes: No.1 JAMES TERRACE.
11 houses in a terrace with one on return. Early 1850s in 2
phases. Flemish bond brickwork with light headers on chamfered
plinth (all dressings of painted stone except unpainted No.10)
and stone-bracketed metal gutter. Graduated local slate roof
with C19 shared ridge chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 2 bays each. Nos 12-26 have right and left doorways
flanking central dividing through-passage; panelled doors,
some C20, up steps in columned in antis surrounds under
overall radial fanlights in brick reveals with stone lintels.
Other houses have same doorways but no passages. Sash windows
and casements (only one, No.14, has glazing bars on upper
floor) in eared stone architraves. Small basement windows
under each ground floor window, with pavement grille. No.30
has a 2-bay return which is partly No.1 James Terrace; a
further single-bay extension also forms part of No.1 James
Terrace and is an integral part of the terrace.
INTERIORS not inspected.
HISTORY: Nos 14-30 were built first and are shown on Asquiths
Survey of Carlisle, 1853; the rest were added shortly
afterwards. Dean Tait only came to Carlisle in 1850 and it was
then that this new street was named. He left Carlisle to be
Bishop of London in 1856 and went on to become Archbishop of
Canterbury in 1868.
Listing NGR: NY4052455507
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings