History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Junction Bridge at Top Locks (That Part in Lathom) leeds and Liverpool Canal Junction Bridge at Top Locks (That Part in Burscough)

A Grade II Listed Building in Burscough, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5969 / 53°35'48"N

Longitude: -2.8309 / 2°49'51"W

OS Eastings: 345105

OS Northings: 411469

OS Grid: SD451114

Mapcode National: GBR 8VNV.XB

Mapcode Global: WH86B.HV5F

Entry Name: Junction Bridge at Top Locks (That Part in Lathom) leeds and Liverpool Canal Junction Bridge at Top Locks (That Part in Burscough)

Listing Date: 1 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386318

Location: Lathom, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Civil Parish: Lathom

Built-Up Area: Burscough

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burscough Bridge St John

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Rufford

Listing Text


LATHOM

SD41SE WHEAT LANE
663-1/3/80 (West side (off))
Junction Bridge at Top Locks (that
part in Lathom CP)

GV II

Includes: Junction Bridge at Top Locks (that part in Burscough
CP) LEEDS-LIVERPOOL CANAL BURSCOUGH.
Bridge carrying towpath of Leeds-Liverpool Canal over junction
with Rufford Branch Canal or "New Cut". Dated 1816 on
keystones of both sides, probably replacing an earlier swing
bridge; for the Leeds-Liverpool Canal Company, resident
engineer Richard Owen. Sandstone ashlar. A high
semi-elliptical arch with rusticated voussoirs and a carved
keystone flanked by sunk panels with the raised digits "18"
and "16"; a broad band, and parapet of massive dressed blocks
with rounded coping; rusticated pilasters; oval number plates
"1" on both sides. The most visually striking component of a
group of canal structures at Top Locks. Located on boundary
between Burscough CP and Lathom CP.


Listing NGR: SD4510511469

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LATHOM

SD41SE WHEAT LANE
663-1/3/80 (West side (off))
Junction Bridge at Top Locks (that
part in Lathom CP)

GV II

Includes: Junction Bridge at Top Locks (that part in Burscough
CP) LEEDS-LIVERPOOL CANAL BURSCOUGH.
Bridge carrying towpath of Leeds-Liverpool Canal over junction
with Rufford Branch Canal or "New Cut". Dated 1816 on
keystones of both sides, probably replacing an earlier swing
bridge; for the Leeds-Liverpool Canal Company, resident
engineer Richard Owen. Sandstone ashlar. A high
semi-elliptical arch with rusticated voussoirs and a carved
keystone flanked by sunk panels with the raised digits "18"
and "16"; a broad band, and parapet of massive dressed blocks
with rounded coping; rusticated pilasters; oval number plates
"1" on both sides. The most visually striking component of a
group of canal structures at Top Locks. Located on boundary
between Burscough CP and Lathom CP.


Listing NGR: SD4510511469

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.