This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5835 / 53°35'0"N
Longitude: -2.8496 / 2°50'58"W
OS Eastings: 343849
OS Northings: 409990
OS Grid: SD438099
Mapcode National: GBR 8WJ0.V4
Mapcode Global: WH86J.6695
Entry Name: Blythe Hall
Listing Date: 11 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386276
Location: Lathom, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40
Civil Parish: Lathom
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Ormskirk St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD40NW BLYTHE LANE
663-1/4/38 (North West side)
11/08/72 Blythe Hall
Large house. Probably late C16 or early C17 in origin but
altered in early C19 and radically altered and enlarged c.1920
for the 3rd Earl of Lathom; and reduced c.1975 by demolition
of the earliest range.
Scored stucco on sandstone rubble, with green slate roof; C20
additions of sandstone ashlar with stone slate roofs.
Irregular plan composed of H-plan original building with
extensive wings attached to rear corner of right-hand wing.
Two storeys and attics, the older portion: 1:5:1 windows,
symmetrical, with a plinth and string course carried round; a
wide single-storey C20 stone porch in the centre, a 2-light
window above this, pairs of 2-light windows on both floors,
those at ground floor with hoodmoulds, and in the gables of
the wings similar casements of 3, 2 and 1 lights on successive
floors, all with hoodmoulds. Two ridge chimneys.
The return side of the left wing has a C20 bay window and
conservatory at ground floor; the return side of the
right-hand wing has (inter alia) a 2-storey canted bay.
The C20 wing, joined to the rear corner by a link, is a
symmetrical composition of 1:3:1 windows, with gabled ends
which have 2-storey 5-sided bays with cross-windows, and a
3-bay centre which has an arcaded loggia at ground floor and
3-light mullioned windows above.
To the rear of this is a C20 wing in simpler style containing
a swimming pool; and there are other C20 rear service wings
INTERIOR: the main range of the original house was entirely
remodelled c.1920 as an open hall with a dramatic 2-storey
colonnaded Ionic screen to a staircase occupying most of the
rear wall; the room to the right has elaborate panelling said
to have been removed from Lathom Hall when it was demolished
shortly after the 1st World War; the swimming pool in the rear
wing is in the style of a Roman temple, with mosaic columns;
and at 1st floor are 7 en suite bathrooms with mosaic walls
and early C20 fittings.
HISTORY: remodelled by the 3rd Earl of Lathom as a residence
to replace Lathom Hall, and used in the 1920s for entertaining
his theatrical friends such as Ivor Novello and Noel Coward;
subsequently occupied by Roman Catholic seminary.
Listing NGR: SD4384909990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings