This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6469 / 50°38'48"N
Longitude: -4.3709 / 4°22'15"W
OS Eastings: 232476
OS Northings: 85701
OS Grid: SX324857
Mapcode National: GBR NK.8R3B
Mapcode Global: FRA 17QC.JYR
Plus Code: 9C2QJJWH+PJ
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Last Amended: 7 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297830
English Heritage Legacy ID: 370083
Location: Launceston, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Launceston
Built-Up Area: Launceston
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Launceston
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX3285 ST STEPHEN'S HILL, St Stephen
660-1/3/222 (East side)
27/02/50 Church of St Stephen
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Stephen-by-Launceston)
Parish church. Norman chancel surviving from collegiate church
of Augustinian Priory founded 940AD which later moved to St
Thomas (qv); consecrated 1259 and extended 1419 and early C16,
restored 1883 by Hine and Odgers.
Granite ashlar 3-stage tower with setback buttresses,strings
dividing stages and embattled parapet with crocketted corner
pinnacles; also granite ashlar to remainder of west end and
south aisle up to and including porch, otherwise slatestone
rubble with granite or greenstone dressings; low-pitched roof
hidden by embattled parapets.
Plan: 4-bay nave; chancel; C16 west tower; south aisle shallow
S transept and 2-storey porch; north chancel chapel.
Exterior: C15 Perpendicular traceried windows with hoodmoulds,
most with 5 lights, to north wall. East wall of chancel has 2
blocked doorways or windows with niches and carved Norman
volcanic stone statues; seated Saviour, and Virgin and Child
probably from an Adoration of the Magi (Pevsner).
Tower has 5-light window over 2-centred arched doorway with
square hoodmould C17 studded oak door with angled random
planks; clockface to 2nd stage; 3-light window to each side of
upper stage. Porch has 4-centred arched doorway, also inner
doorway with original C15 or C16 studded door. C19 windows in
Perpendicular style to S aisle.
INTERIOR: skimmed walls; 4-bay Polyphant stone arcade with
square piers with demi shafts and 2 centred arches; another
bay to east of rood with more-complex moulded piers to S
transept, late C19 greenstone arch to N aisle. Late C19 oak
roof structure with squat 4-centred arched moulded tie-beam
trusses with trefoil-headed arcade above and moulded wall
plates and purlins; Norman arches visible to north and south
walls of chancel near C13 rear arches. Medieval holy water
stoup in porch.
Fittings: round Norman font of volcanic stone with 3 cabled
cornice to round shaft on moulded rings to square base;
cinquefoil headed aumbry niche to south wall of chancel; C18
holy water stoop in porch; medieval stone coffin at west end;
late C19 rood screen and late C19 pitch-pine pews with carved
oak ends including three C16 bench ends with quatrefoils;
elaborate late C19 pulpit.
Monuments: slate slab set into north wall to Digory Prior,
died 1631 with guilloche border and coat of arms; another to N
wall of chancel to John? Briers of Colacott, (q.v.) Werrington
parish, died 1615, with Corinthian end pilasters and scrolled
pediment; another to S transept dated 1667 with most of ornate
inscription; wall marble aedicule to S wall of aisle to John
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London:
1953-1970: P.200 & 201; Kelly's Directory: Directory of
Cornwall: 1902-: P.170, 171).
Listing NGR: SX3247985700
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings