History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edgar's Farmhouse museum of East Anglian Life

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stowmarket, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1857 / 52°11'8"N

Longitude: 0.9909 / 0°59'27"E

OS Eastings: 604554

OS Northings: 258376

OS Grid: TM045583

Mapcode National: GBR SJL.Z7D

Mapcode Global: VHKDP.4B69

Entry Name: Edgar's Farmhouse museum of East Anglian Life

Listing Date: 28 July 1950

Last Amended: 29 November 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297921

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384529

Location: Stowmarket, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stowmarket

Built-Up Area: Stowmarket

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Stowmarket St Peter and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stowmarket

Listing Text


STOWMARKET

TM0458 Museum of East Anglian Life: Edgar's
614-1/4/4 Farmhouse
28/07/50
(Formerly Listed as:
Abbot's Hall Museum: Edgar's
Farmhouse)

II*

Formerly known as: Abbot's Hall Museum: Edgar's Farmhouse
COMBS LANE.
Aisled hall. c1340. Timber-framed, rendered and whitewashed.
Pantiled roof. Windowless rectangular block with gabled roof.
Double plank doors in west gable and single plank door in east
gable walls, of 1972. Gable heads have drip-moulds and wall is
open at apices of roof (now glazed) to allow smoke escape.
INTERIOR. 2 bays remain, formerly with a third bay at lower
end. 2 octagonal aisle posts stand on C20 concrete plinths and
rise to arched braces on moulded capitals. The arched braces
run to arcade plates and to tie beams. On the central, free
tie, is an octagonal crown post with a moulded capital with 4
arched braces to the crown purlin and collar. 2 passing braces
drop from the crown purlin through the tie beam, arcade posts
and arcade struts to floor level. East and west walls with
tiers of decorative arched and tension bracing. An
exceptionally important C14 survival of high quality.
Discovered when Edgar's Farm on Combs Lane was partially
demolished to allow for re-development in 1972, dismantled and
moved to this site.


Listing NGR: TM0455458376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.