History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New River Head Revetment of Old Inner or Round Reservoir Pound

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5288 / 51°31'43"N

Longitude: -0.1076 / 0°6'27"W

OS Eastings: 531366

OS Northings: 182797

OS Grid: TQ313827

Mapcode National: GBR M6.Z4

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.2TYW

Entry Name: New River Head Revetment of Old Inner or Round Reservoir Pound

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369261

Location: Islington, London, EC1R

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell St Mark

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3182NW ROSEBERY AVENUE
635-1/68/739 (North West side)
29/09/72 New River Head: Revetment of old
Inner or Round Reservoir Pond

GV II

Resevoir Revetment. Northern half of revetment of old Inner or
Round Reservoir Pond, drained in 1913 and now used for parking
and builders' storage for Thames Water Headquarters Building
(formerly called New River Head/Metropolitan Water Board).
c.1609-1613 by Stephen Bone, bricklayer; remodelled with iron
pile revetment, 1841-1842 by W. C. Mylne, Surveyor to the New
River Company; new retaining wall and York paving to bottom,
1854 by George Mansfield under Mylne's supervision; southern
segment of reservoir demolished 1919-1920. All work until 1902
for the New River Company, patron; C20 work for the
Metropolitan Water Board, patron. Multi-coloured stock brick
inner face set in English bond with Yorkshire stone slab
sloping floor; outer face lined with cast iron plates. Three
stone plaques to western face of outer revetment commemorate
the building of the reservoir.
The New River arrived at Finsbury in 1613 where there was
already a pond known as Duck Pond. This was wharfed with oak
boards for the reception of the New River Water, and
surrounded by a brick wall built by Stephen Bone a bricklayer
much in evidence during the early years of the company's
existence. In 1841 repairs to the Inner Pond were urgent. W C
Mylne, surveyor to the New River Company, inserted fender
piles making it unnecessary to empty the centre pond. He then
secured new iron piles all around the circumference and
inserted iron wharfing. In 1854 George Mansfield built a
retaining wall of smaller dimensions to support the slopes and
levelled and lined the bottom of the pond with York paving
stone. The C20 demolition of the southern segment of the pond
wall was due to the erection of the new headquarters building
for the Metropolitan Board of Works on the site.
(Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-).


Listing NGR: TQ3133282758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.