History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

34 and 36, St John Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5208 / 51°31'14"N

Longitude: -0.1013 / 0°6'4"W

OS Eastings: 531826

OS Northings: 181913

OS Grid: TQ318819

Mapcode National: GBR P9.D0

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.619J

Entry Name: 34 and 36, St John Street

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298005

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369280

Location: Islington, London, EC1M

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE ST JOHN STREET
635-1/77/784 (East side)
20/12/91 Nos.34 AND 36

GV II

Warehouse of George Farmiloe and Sons Ltd, lead and glass
merchants. 1868 by Isaacs. Yellow brick and granite with
stucco to the ground floor and stucco dressings; roof obscured
by parapet. Four storeys over basement, seven-window range.
Eclectic in style. The central section, of three-window range,
is slightly recessed. Plinth of polished granite, rustication
to ground floor, continued as quoins either side of the wings.
Central round-arched entrance with springing band, archivolt,
head keystone, and five-sided arched hoodmould; stepped,
segmental-arched windows immediately to either side, and broad
elliptical-arched openings beyond that with head keystones,
that to the left divided into two round arches by a cast-iron
column with openwork decoration to the spandrels, that to the
right a carriage entrance with ornate iron gates; fascia with
sunk Roman letters 'LEAD & GLASS/GEORGE FARMILOE & SONS
LIMITED/MERCHANTS'; cornice interrupted by corbelled and
pedimented stops with Farmiloe's monogram in roundels.
First-floor windows flat-arched with round-arched panels
above, scrolled keystones, and decorative tympana, the central
window having a central column of polished granite; second-
and third-floor windows have segmental arches recessed under a
flat arch with springing band, upper part of an architrave and
decorative keystone; except that the central window on both
floors has a flat arch and central column of polished granite,
that to the second floor set under a segmental bracketed
canopy, that to third floor under a round arch; dentil cornice
between second and third floor. Entablature, the cornice
supported by single brackets in the centre and single and
paired brackets alternately on the wings; blocking course.
INTERIOR reported as retaining fine staircase and panelled
boardrooms. To the rear is a further range of 4 storeys and 5
bays with cast-iron galleries linking the two on several
floors.


Listing NGR: TQ3185681929

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE ST JOHN STREET
635-1/77/784 (East side)
20/12/91 Nos.34 AND 36

GV II

Warehouse of George Farmiloe and Sons Ltd, lead and glass
merchants. 1868 by Isaacs. Yellow brick and granite with
stucco to the ground floor and stucco dressings; roof obscured
by parapet. Four storeys over basement, seven-window range.
Eclectic in style. The central section, of three-window range,
is slightly recessed. Plinth of polished granite, rustication
to ground floor, continued as quoins either side of the wings.
Central round-arched entrance with springing band, archivolt,
head keystone, and five-sided arched hoodmould; stepped,
segmental-arched windows immediately to either side, and broad
elliptical-arched openings beyond that with head keystones,
that to the left divided into two round arches by a cast-iron
column with openwork decoration to the spandrels, that to the
right a carriage entrance with ornate iron gates; fascia with
sunk Roman letters 'LEAD & GLASS/GEORGE FARMILOE & SONS
LIMITED/MERCHANTS'; cornice interrupted by corbelled and
pedimented stops with Farmiloe's monogram in roundels.
First-floor windows flat-arched with round-arched panels
above, scrolled keystones, and decorative tympana, the central
window having a central column of polished granite; second-
and third-floor windows have segmental arches recessed under a
flat arch with springing band, upper part of an architrave and
decorative keystone; except that the central window on both
floors has a flat arch and central column of polished granite,
that to the second floor set under a segmental bracketed
canopy, that to third floor under a round arch; dentil cornice
between second and third floor. Entablature, the cornice
supported by single brackets in the centre and single and
paired brackets alternately on the wings; blocking course.
INTERIOR reported as retaining fine staircase and panelled
boardrooms. To the rear is a further range of 4 storeys and 5
bays with cast-iron galleries linking the two on several
floors.


Listing NGR: TQ3185681929

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.