This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0455 / 54°2'43"N
Longitude: -2.8013 / 2°48'4"W
OS Eastings: 347628
OS Northings: 461360
OS Grid: SD476613
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWN.BJ
Mapcode Global: WH846.YK6Z
Entry Name: 5 and 7, Queen Street
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298302
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383273
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761SE QUEEN STREET
1685-1/8/241 (East side)
22/12/53 Nos.5 AND 7
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
Pair of houses, now part of school (No.5) and flats (No.7).
Late C18 (1778-1807), altered early C19 and C20. Sandstone
ashlar with chamfered quoins, slate roof, and gable stacks,
much reduced on the left.
3 tall storeys above a tall basement, expressed with chamfered
rustication, with 3 bays to each house under an eaves cornice.
The downpipe from the secret gutter is in a recess between the
houses. All windows have plain reveals and are sashed with
glazing bars, 15 panes on the ground and first storeys, and 9
on the second, where the joinery is relatively recent. There
is a torus-moulded sill band on the second floor; remains of
sill bands between the quoins on both other floors show that
the first- and second-floor window sills have been lowered.
The doorways, up a double flight of 9 nosed steps parallel to
the facade, are linked in a central feature with 4 fluted
pilasters carrying a single broken scrolled pediment. The
doors are of 9 raised and fielded panels to the left and 6
panels to the right.
INTERIOR: No.7 has shutters to the first and ground floor
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the railings have stick balusters with
urn finials on the standards; centrally against the landing is
an elaborate iron lamp holder carried on a panel decorated
with a double line of lozenges.
Listing NGR: SD4762861360
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings