This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4362 / 50°26'10"N
Longitude: -3.5683 / 3°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 288716
OS Northings: 60765
OS Grid: SX887607
Mapcode National: GBR QT.RT14
Mapcode Global: FRA 37DW.ZM0
Plus Code: 9C2RCCPJ+FM
Entry Name: Paignton Community College
Listing Date: 26 July 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383756
Location: Torbay, TQ3
Electoral Ward/Division: Roundham-with-Hyde
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Paignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8860 BISHOPS PLACE
1947-1/5/4 (North side)
26/07/91 Paignton Community College
Part of Paignton Art School, formerly the School of Art and
Science. 1908 (datestone). C17 in style.
MATERIALS: Rusticated red breccia with red brick and freestone
and some terracotta dressings; sgraffito panels on right
return; slate roof. PLAN: Deep rectangular plan on a corner
site between Bishops Place and Gerston Place. Entrance from
Bishops Place at left end into a stair hall, well-lit studios
on ground and first floor, the first-floor rear windows
positioned to take full advantage of north light.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical, regular 5-window front.
Deep plinth; moulded terracotta string to the ground floor;
cornice at first-floor level below deep freestone band
inscribed with 'School of Art and Science' in Roman lettering.
Deep projecting eaves cornice with modillion frieze, plain
parapet with moulded coping. Rusticated Baroque doorway to
left with a stone porch hood with panelled soffit on moulded
consoles and egg-and-dart moulding. Datestone in tympanum
flanked by symbols of Art and Science; pair of half-glazed
panelled doors. 4 round-headed ground-floor windows with spoke
glazing bars above the transom. 5 first-floor Gibbs-surround
windows with heavy rustication, keystones and rusticated
voussoirs, glazed with 9 over 2-pane sashes. The right return
(onto Gerston Place) has 6 ground-floor windows matching those
on the front and, on the first floor, a frame of moulded
glazed tiles surrounding a series of sgraffito panels that
extend the full length of the building. These illustrate
respectively Applied Design, Sculpture, Painting and
Architecture. The rear (north) elevation has 2 massive
first-floor windows, rising above the eaves and canting
backwards for maximum light.
INTERIOR: Retains an open-well top-lit stair with a balustrade
of cast-iron panels and a rounded timber handrail with
projecting beads. Other surviving original features include a
wood-block floor; vents for central heating, originally from a
coal-fired boiler; sliding doors with diagonal boarding
between the two first-floor studios and some original
fittings, including a vertical chest for storing paintings and
stout timber storage cupboards.
HISTORY: The sgraffito panels were executed by the first
headmaster, Wallis, and are said to have been influenced by
the sgraffito work on the Royal College of Organists,
Kensington. They are a rare example of English external
sgraffito work. They were in poor condition at time of survey
(1991) but there are plans to repair them. The Science and Art
School was originally located in New Street and was first
financially supported by the Council in 1895. PLANs for the
new school were first approved in June 1907, total cost
»11,650, building completed in October 1908 (Penwill).
(Penwill FR: Paignton in Six Reigns: 1935-: 49, 67).
Listing NGR: SX8871660765
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings