This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0392 / 54°2'21"N
Longitude: -2.8023 / 2°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 347553
OS Northings: 460657
OS Grid: SD475606
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWQ.3T
Mapcode Global: WH846.XQQT
Entry Name: Ripley St Thomas's School, Original School Building
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383041
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE ASHTON ROAD
1685-1/1/8 (West side)
18/02/70 Ripley St Thomas' School, original
Orphanage, now part of school. 1856-64, additions 1885,
altered c1965. Design by J Cunningham at the expense of Mrs
Julia Ripley, with additions by Paley and Austin. Polygonal
sandstone masonry with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
E-plan, with wings projecting on the north side, the east wing
now truncated, and with additions projecting towards the west
from the west wing. Gothic Revival style.
In the centre is a tall tower rising between 2 identical
gabled 3-storey wings, their gables now re-modelled. The
windows all have pointed lights. Each wing has 2 windows of
one light on the ground floor. Canted oriel windows rise
through the 1st and 2nd floors. The recessed tower rises in
the centre and has 3 tall lancet openings to its upper stage,
and a shield of arms carved on its embattled parapet. At
ground floor level is the main entrance, with a shallow
2-centred arch spanning between the wings and supporting a
parapet pierced with quatrefoils. The inner doorway is also
pointed and contains timber doors within a screen of coloured
glass. To each side are links of 2 storeys and 6 bays
separated by buttresses. The ground-floor arcades are now
glazed and the 1st floor windows are C20 in reconstructed
rectangular chamfered stone surrounds.
East wing now mostly demolished, with one bay of 2 storeys
remaining. West wing also now of 2 storeys, and of 6 bays with
a projecting stair turret towards the N end of the east wall.
The 1885 additions have 2 gabled bays facing north which have
3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery in pointed heads.
At the west end a wing projects towards the N and has 2
windows of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery in its N gable
wall, separated by a buttress. The E wall of this wing
contains a doorway with the date '1885' carved above.
HISTORY: the Ripley Hospital was erected for the education and
maintenance of 300 orphaned and fatherless children of
Lancaster and Liverpool, with accommodation divided
symmetrically between boys and girls. In 1885 additions and
alterations by Paley and Austin were begun. These included the
Chapel (qv) and new schools and classrooms.
(Cross Fleury (pseud.): Time-Honoured Lancaster: Lancaster:
Listing NGR: SD4755360657
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings