This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1918 / 52°11'30"N
Longitude: -1.7054 / 1°42'19"W
OS Eastings: 420233
OS Northings: 254876
OS Grid: SP202548
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.FNQ
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.D58M
Entry Name: The Shrieve's House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366405
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW SHEEP STREET
604-1/10/222 (North side)
The Shrieve's House
(Formerly Listed as:
Yeoman's house, with rear outbuildings now shop. Front range
probably rebuilt on old plan after 1614 fire, outbuildings
rebuilt after 1595 fire; restored 1908, 1947 by F Yorke and
1979 by SA Wright. Timber-frame with plaster infill on coursed
rubble plinth; tile roof with brick rear stack.
2 storeys with attic; 3 irregular bays; 1st floor jettied on
carved brackets.Entrance to left end is a later feature,
triangular head with leaded lights above and studded door with
strap hinges and enriched iron handle; 1st floor raised over
large carriage entrance to right end which has paired battened
plank doors. Ground floor has 1:3:1-light canted oriel,
originally bay window; similar oriel above has hipped roof,
3-light window to right and inserted 1908 two-light window to
left; attic has 1947 large and small gabled dormers with
windows of 4 and 3 lights. Close-studded framing. Rear has
short gabled wing with stack to left of ridge and entrance
with battened door.
Lower 2-storey outbuilding range has brick and plaster infill;
mostly 3-light windows, some with wooden diamond mullions
originally unglazed, and varied entrances. Square framing.
INTERIOR: well preserved with C17 staircase with splat
balusters and square newels with finials; stud partitions and
ex-situ panelling and doors brought from another house c1947.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house belonged to the Guild of Holy
Cross, later to the Corporation; it became known in the C20 as
the Shrieve's House from its 1st recorded tenent, William
Sheryve, 1542; also inhabited by William Rogers, a Sergeant at
the Mace, for whom the house was rebuilt and enlarged after
the fire of 1595, and John Woolmer, the 1st Mayor of
Stratford, 1664. A good example of a late C16 or early C17
yeoman's house retaining its range of outbuildings.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 51; Stratford-upon-Avon Papers: Ree
P: The Shrieve's House, Stratford-upon-Avon:
Listing NGR: SP2023354876
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings