History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawley, West Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.1141 / 51°6'50"N

Longitude: -0.1889 / 0°11'19"W

OS Eastings: 526868

OS Northings: 136540

OS Grid: TQ268365

Mapcode National: GBR JKL.12N

Mapcode Global: VHGSW.P808

Plus Code: 9C3X4R76+JC

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 21 June 1948

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298875

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363346

Location: Three Bridges, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10

County: West Sussex

Electoral Ward/Division: Northgate

Built-Up Area: Crawley

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Crawley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

5403 (east side)
Parish Church of St John
the Baptist
TQ 2636 NE 5/23 21.6.48
C15 and C19. Formerly a Chapel of Ease for the parish of Slaugham. Built of Sussex
limestone. Horsham slab roofs except for the chancel which is tiled. South wall of
the nave, the nave roof and some carvings are C15. The west tower is of 1807 but
using old materials and the north aisle was added, north porch added, north vestry
and organ chamber added chancel rebuilt and general restoration undertaken by Woodyer
in 1879-80. The west tower of 3 stages has 3 late medieval carved figures under
canopies. C15 or early C16 nave roof with tie-beams, collars with curved braces and
"Man you wele bewar, for worldly good makyth man mynde. Bewar be for for whate
comyth be hynde." Set in the north wall of the chancel is a C14 carved stone with
3 cusped canopies, probably part of a stone reredos. C15 doorway on south side of
chancel arch that gave access to roof loft stair. C13 font of marble with octagonal
bowl supported on central drum and 4 surrounding shafts. Early C17 oak pulpit, re-set
on modern stone base. Early C18 altar rails. Brass inscription to William Blast
d.1438) and brass of a woman early C16.
(See V C H Sussex vii P 146).
The churchyard has 2 good C18 limestone headstones with cherubs, flowers, snakes and
heavenly trumpet motifs.

Listing NGR: TQ2686836540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.