This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.715 / 51°42'53"N
Longitude: -2.5555 / 2°33'19"W
OS Eastings: 361720
OS Northings: 201950
OS Grid: SO617019
Mapcode National: GBR JS.31X9
Mapcode Global: VH87H.N5D4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354377
Location: Aylburton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Aylburton
Built-Up Area: Aylburton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Woolaston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
AYLBURTON CHURCH ROAD
SO 60 SW
7/12 Church of St Mary
Anglican parish church. Mainly early C14, but the whole building removed from
original site and rebuilt in present position 1856. Coursed and squared
sandstone, stone slate roofs to coped gables, and terminal cross to chancel.
West tower, nave, south aisle, south porch, chancel. Tower in two stages on
deep plinth to hipped roof with 2 small gables at ridge, square louvred belfry
lights, roll mould mid string course, small single opening to west,ringers'
door up 9 steps to pointed arch at south-east corner. South aisle, lancet
to west, various C14 windows, deep porch double plan chamfer opening; inner
door to plain chamfer, and niche with flanking figures over. 3-light east
aisle window. To chancel, south side is round-headed priest's door and a 2-light
window with cusping indoor a square head, east end has 2-light with irregular
sexfoil over. On this wall a commemorative panel:
'This chapel was removed from the place where it stood on the hill above nearly
without alteration M D CCC L VI'.
North side chancel 2-light with ogee-head cusping, and five 2-light C14 design
windows between deep buttresses with double offsets to north side of nave.
Interior: five bay arcade of octagonal piers with moulded caps to double-chamfered
arches, arch-braced roof, north side windows with flat rere-arches in two chamfered
orders. C14 moulded chancel arch, fine C15 octagonal stone 2-tier pulpit on
reconstructed base. Chancel roof arch braced. Round bowl C15 font on square
base. Some medieval glass fragments in south aisle east window.
Listing NGR: SO6172001950
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings