This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5732 / 52°34'23"N
Longitude: -1.5656 / 1°33'56"W
OS Eastings: 429536
OS Northings: 297350
OS Grid: SP295973
Mapcode National: GBR 5HP.M0G
Mapcode Global: WHCHC.XLN6
Plus Code: 9C4WHCFM+7Q
Entry Name: Merevale Hall
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309223
Location: Merevale, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV9
Civil Parish: Merevale
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Merevale with Bentley
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
MEREVALE MEREVALE PARK
1/130 Merevale Hall
Country house. Late C17 and C18 origins; rebuilt 1838-1844 by Edward Blore, but
completed with some alterations 1842-1844 by Henry Clutton, for William
Stratford Dugdale. Brick faced with Hollington stone ashlar, and with cast iron
beams. Slate roofs have parapets and shaped gable parapets with moulded copings.
Stone ridge and end stacks have octagonal shafts with moulded bases and
cornices. Courtyard plan. Elizabethan style. 3 storeys. Symmetrical south-east
front to garden of 1-1-3-1-1 bays. Moulded plinth, sill courses and first-floor
string course throughout. Stone recessed chamfered mullioned windows have plate
glass to ground floor and sashes to upper floors. Slightly projecting centre has
Doric pilasters with raised band and panelled pedestals, paired to angles,
between each bay, and fielded panelled frieze. Half-glazed double-leaf doors in
moulded surround with keyed round arch and carved tympanum. 2-light windows to
left and right have central transom. End bays have 3-light windows with transom.
Main range has panelled frieze below first-floor windows to all 5 bays. Centre
has panelled pedestals and moulded finials above pilasters. Central tall
semi-circular 5-light oriel has moulded corbelled base, 2 transoms, coved
cornice and moulded embattled parapet. All other bays have 2-light windows with
transom; moulded cornices on consoles have semi-circular centres and finials.
Second floor has tall central cross window in moulded surround with similar
cornice, rising into shaped gable. Other bays have 2-light windows, and centre
has blind slit windows in angles on upper floors.Entablature and open arcaded
parapet on moulded consoles flanking the windows . Centre has large moulded and
panelled pedestals with finials and arched cupolas with stone ogee roofs. End
bays have round-arched panels and finials. Projecting wings have 4-storey square
angle turrets with string courses, slit windows and stone ogee roofs with
finials, and shaped gables. 2-storey 5-light bay window, have 2 transoms to
ground floor, and one to first floor. Panelled entablature has enriched angles
arid moulded cornice, and strapwork balustrade. 3-light windows above have arched
central light and 2 transoms, and moulded cornice. Single-storey range on left
has canted bay and round-arched glazed door in moulded surround with overlight.
South-west front was made the main entrance in 1842. Two bays. Single-storey
range across the front has large porch on the right. Big clasping buttresses
rise into pedestals with finials and blind arcaded turrets with ogee roofs. Open
work parapet has large round-arched central panel. Wide moulded basket arch with
sunk spandrels. Round-arched panelled double-leaf doors have molded arch and
imposts. 6-light window with transom on left. Above porch is a slight projection
with 2-light windows, with detailing throughout similar to the garden front.
Left bay projects slightly and has a canted oriel with strapwork cresting.
Second floor has a 2-light window with hood mould. Shaped gable has finials and
an arched bellcote. Lower 3-storey service wing of two 2-bay ranges at right
angles to left, has corbel-table throughout. Inner range has shaped end gable
with stack of 6 shafts, and parapet with central dormer. Outer range has
embattled parapet and no visible roof. Irregular fenestration throughout.
North-east front is a 5-bay range. Central 2-storey canted bay of 1-4-1 lights.
Other bays have 2-light windows. Central gable and balustrade. One-storey bay on
right has 4-light window and balustrade at the foot of the tower. North-west
front has a 5-window range on left. First bay is a 5-storey tower. High
buttresses with 2 gablet offsets above string course, and 2-light window. Second
floor is blank. Third floor has a 3-light window in a moulded surround. Fourth
and fifth floors, rebuilt in 1841 to a more elaborate design, have canted
angles, with a splay course, blind arches to the canted sides and 2-light
windows. Openwork parapet has stack to north-east. Second and fourth bays have
2-storey 3-light canted bays with embattled parapets. Third bay has 3-light
windows. Fifth bay has door in moulded surround with 2-light overlight, and
2-light window above. Ground floor windows have 2 transoms, first floor have
one; hood moulds throughout. Second floor has 2-light windows. Parapet with
panels above each bay is similar to south-east front. Lower 3-storey 2-bay
ranges on right have a smaller 4-storey with a square tower between them.
Moulded string courses. Lower storeys are hidden by an irregular range. 3-bay
arcaded loggia at right angles. Second floor has 2 single lights. Third floor
has cross windows with moulded shaped cornices. Openwork parapet has octagonal
stair turret.Right range has corbel-table and embattled parapet, and is largely
hidden by-a similar 2-storey range built across it. Irregular fenestration
throughout. Interior. has good quality detailing throughout staircase hall has
internal porch and moulded wood doorcases with round-arched cornices. Jacobean
style white and black fireplace. Open well staircase has strapwork balustrade.
Screen of 3- moulded and enriched round arches with panelled piers and cartouche
keys. First floor has similar arcades, open on 2 sides to corridors, and on 2
sides with Venetian-traceried windows containing heraldic stained glass.
Elaborate coved, panelled and moulded plaster ceiling has large ornamented
pendant. Dining Room has panelled dado. Marble chimneypiece has bulging
pilasters and overmantel with semi-circular mirror in moulded surround, carved
spandrels and strapwork cresting. Enormous mirrored sideboard recess. Coved and
panelled plaster ceiling. L-shaped library has fitted bookcases, and carved wood
strapwork cresting to overmantel and doors. Drawing Room has moulded plaster
ceiling and 2 bolection-moulded fireplaces. Top-lit saloon has octagonal
skylight. Several rooms have marbleised slate classical fireplaces.
(Merevale gardens are included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade
II; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p353; Mark Girouard: Merevale Hall:
Country Life: 13th and 20th March 1969, pp598-601 and 662-665; Mark Girouard:
The Victorian Country House: pp65-67)
Listing NGR: SP2953697350
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings