This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0834 / 52°5'0"N
Longitude: -1.4509 / 1°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 437721
OS Northings: 242925
OS Grid: SP377429
Mapcode National: GBR 6R5.60W
Mapcode Global: VHBYJ.SWTR
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244604
Location: Shenington with Alkerton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shenington with Alkerton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SHENINGTON WITH ALKERTON ALKERTON
7/48 Church of St. Michael
Church. c.1200 with late C14 clerestory and chancel rebuilt in early C17. 2
upper storeys of tower added in early C14. Porch of C14. Restorations of 1889 by
J. Cossins. Ironstone ashlar. Chancel and south porch have steeply pitched stone
slate roofs. Chancel, central tower, nave, south aisle, south porch. Chancel has
a 3-light lancet on east and 3-light stone mullion window on south. South aisle
has a doorway with a plain round arch and plank door. Two 3-light Perpendicular
windows restored in C19. A 2-light lancet with trefoiled head to left of porch.
Diagonal and clasping buttresses. Gabled south porch has a pointed arched
doorway with hood mould, stone bench seats and stoup. Plank door with
wrought-iron hinges. Nave has two 2-light Perpendicular windows to ground floor
and clerestory on north. Pointed, arched doorway on north. 4 similar late C14
clerestory windows on south with elaborately carved corbel table with beasts,
grotesque figures and musical instruments. Characteristic of work carried out by
the north Oxfordshire masons appearing at Hanwell, Adderbury and Bloxham.
Central tower of 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Cusped lancets and slit
window to staircase. Interior. East arch to the chancel re-cut in C14. North and
south arches are round headed, the north blocked, the south leading to the organ
chamber added in 1889 by J. Cossins. Nave has restored cambered tiebeam roof,
partly original, supported on stone head corbels. 2-bay south arcade of c.1200
with 2 chamfered orders, bell shaped capitals and a round pier opposite entrance
with trumpet-scallop decoration. C12 tub shaped font and C19 stone base. Effigy
to unknown Knight in chancel. C18 memorials to Pointer family, and memorials to
Timothy Lydiat pastor d.1652/3, and Hannah the wife of Richard Burden, pastor
(VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp51-2; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974,
Listing NGR: SP3771842924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings