This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0372 / 52°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.4217 / 2°25'18"W
OS Eastings: 371171
OS Northings: 237729
OS Grid: SO711377
Mapcode National: GBR FZ.FV6P
Mapcode Global: VH860.Z233
Plus Code: 9C4V2HPH+V8
Entry Name: The Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 18 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301848
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151822
Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Ledbury
Built-Up Area: Ledbury
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Ledbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
5245 CHURCH LANE
The Old Grammar School
SO 7137 NE 2/11 18.9.53.
Late C15. Was schoolroom and masters house, now 3 tenements. Timber-framed with
plastered panels. The south front projects heavily on the 1st floor on the original
moulded bressumer and carved brackets springing from octagonal shafts with moulded
capitals. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Old canted bay window on left of ground floor
and old casements with leaded panes, 1 with 4 lights in gable of the east end.
Timber framing also exposed at rear and east end. Tiled roof with gable ends.
Was once schoolroom and masters house endowed in fort from Holy Trinity Chantry,
dissolved 1547. It is reputed that the poet the Rev Thoms Traherne 1637-74 was
The Town Council Offices, No 3, Public Lavatories, Hawkes and Terry, Prince of Terry Prince of
wales Inn, the Old Grammar School and Rutherglen form a group.
Listing NGR: SO7117137729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings