This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2235 / 51°13'24"N
Longitude: -1.1061 / 1°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 462517
OS Northings: 147527
OS Grid: SU625475
Mapcode National: GBR B71.94K
Mapcode Global: VHD0F.SH3X
Entry Name: Church of St. Andrew
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138604
Location: Farleigh Wallop, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG25
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Farleigh Wallop
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Farleigh
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 64 NW FARLEIGH WALLOP
26.4.57 Church of St Andrew
1750, 1871. A rebuild of 1750, with restoration of 1871 (including the addition of a
west tower). The plan is a symmetrical cross of 5 squares, with one window on each
outside wall (except the south side of the southern arm). Old tile roof. The walling
is in squared flintwork with flush red brick quoins at the internal corners, the outer
corners also having quoins on each face, but strengthened by brick pilasters (flush on
the gable face and projecting on the return), cavetto stone moulding to the plinth.
Stone dressings to the tower and stone windows, 6 of which have 3 lights with cusped
heads, within a rectangular frame (probably of the original design) and 4 (east window
and northern arm) with painted heads, hoodmoulds and tracery (of 1871). The tower, of
Perpendicular style, has a crenellated parapet, weather band, traceried bell-stage
opening, diagonal stepped buttresses, a plain west door, and a stairway attahed to the
north-west corner of the western arm. Within, the north and south arms have raised
floors approached by central flights of steps. There is a screened area for a vestry
on the north side (resulting in a higher window) and the south side end wall has 2 fine
monuments, with lettered panels enclosed by pedimented Corinthian (pilastered) Orders.
The eastern arm has C18 altar rails with twisted balusters and end statues, above a
step; there is linen-fold panelling to cill height, and above are painted panels (
Commandments and Lords Prayer). There is a C16 late Gothic altar tomb and 5 large
finely-lettered floor slabs of the early C18. The pulpit, lectern and font are
Victorian. The timber-framed roof is arch-braced, with 2 bays to each arm.
Listing NGR: SU6194647370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings