This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8179 / 51°49'4"N
Longitude: -1.7218 / 1°43'18"W
OS Eastings: 419269
OS Northings: 213293
OS Grid: SP192132
Mapcode National: GBR 4R7.X3R
Mapcode Global: VHBZR.3KLQ
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302473
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130706
Location: Windrush, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18
Civil Parish: Windrush
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Windrush St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
WINDRUSH WINDRUSH VILLAGE
Manor house. C16, early C18, early C20 extension dated and
initialled 'S 1919' on datestone on canted bay at gable end of C16
range. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, ashlar facade to
early C18 range. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Basically
'L'-shaped plan. Early C18 range runs forwards right of C16 range.
Early C20 extension at gable end of early C18 range. C16 range;
1½ storeys. Flat-chamfered plinth. Three-light hollow-chamfered
stone-mullioned casement with transom and stopped hood left of
projecting C20 gabled porch. Three-light stone-mullioned casement
with round-headed lights with carved spandrels and stepped
mouldings to mullions. Two-light stone-mullioned casement above.
C20 plank door within flat-chamfered basket-headed surround with
stopped hood to porch. Reused carved stone decorated with a bird
perching on a bowl above doorway. Heraldic shield bearing the arms
of the Hungerford family and the date 1570 to right of porch (q.v.
Hungerford Chapel in Church of St. Peter). Heraldic shield
decorated with wheatsheaf left of porch. All carved stone probably
reset. Two-storey stone-mullioned canted bay, dated 1919, at left
gable end. Rusticated quoins. Two storeys and attic lit by hipped
2-light roof dormer. Stone-mullioned cross windows within double-
chamfered surrounds to ground and first floors. Window second from
left on ground floor formerly a doorway, now with window inserted.
Three-light stone-mullioned casement to ground floor right.
Dripmould over ground floor windows. Right-hand bay now partly
obscured by 1 1/2 storey C19 extension at right angles on right with
two 2-light stone-mullioned casements, one within former doorway.
Early C20 three-light stone-mullioned casement in gable end. Tall
two-light stone-mullioned casements to first floor at rear of C18
range. Saddleback moulded and flat coping at gable ends. Axial
and gable-end stacks with moulded capping.
Interior of C16 range; C19 stone fireplace with basket-headed
surround, carved spandrels and moulded stops in hall, seven
quatrefoils above (probably restored). Carved heads and flowers
(resembling debased ballflower) at the centre of each quatrefoil.
Tie beam with stepped stops and deep flat chamfers. Fireplace in
room off hall with ornate flower and fruit decoration and egg and
dart moulding. Short length of C17 balustrade with splat balusters
(probably representing a reused remnant of the original staircase),
present staircase C19 with turned balusters. Roof trusses with
arch-braced roof trusses. Possibly C18 fireplace with fluted
decoration and decorated frieze. C18 range; stone fireplace with
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP1926913293
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings