History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crispe Almshouses and Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marshfield, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4625 / 51°27'44"N

Longitude: -2.3268 / 2°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 377390

OS Northings: 173771

OS Grid: ST773737

Mapcode National: GBR 0PL.6JS

Mapcode Global: VH967.MH8Q

Entry Name: Crispe Almshouses and Chapel

Listing Date: 17 September 1952

Last Amended: 10 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34527

Location: Marshfield, South Gloucestershire, SN14

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Marshfield

Built-Up Area: Marshfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Marshfield

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Marshfield

Listing Text

MARSHFIELD C.P. HIGH STREET (north side)
ST 7773
13/114 Crispe Almshouses and chapel
17.9.52 (formerly listed as Almshouses)

G.V. II*

Row of 8 almshouses and central chapel. Dated "1612" - "1619", for the Crispe
family. Ashlar; Cotswold stone slate roof with coped raised verges and saddle
stones; overhanging eaves and convex moulded cornice; ashlar ridge and stacks
with moulded cornice. Single storey on a plinth and attics in 8 stone gables
which are coped and have a typical Cotswold finial. Single window and door per
house; the plank doors are grouped in 4 pairs. 2-light casement windows with
ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds, under a continuous string course on the
ground floor and under drip moulds in the gables; the centre 2 windows flanking
the porch have semi-circular heads. Single storey projecting porch to the
chapel; embattled parapet, and segmental headed door surrounds, ovolo moulded on
the exterior and chamfered on the interior. Above the porch is a central wide
gable which bears 2 sets of Crispe armorial bearings between 3 Corinthian style
engaged columns under an entablature and cornice. Central square clocktower,
surmounted by a broached octagonal spire which has a mushroom shaped finial and a
weathervane. Interior: stop chamfered beams to the houses; plain interior
to the chapel with two inward leaning piers which support the tower. The
westernmost gable is inscribed: "1612./10.DIE.AUGUSTI./THOMAS.CRISPE./FILIVS./
NICHOLAV.CRISPE./POSVIT.HVNC.LAPIDEM.". The easternmost gable is inscribed:
"1619./30:DIE:IVLII:/NICHOLAVS:CRISPE:/FILIVS:ELTAE:CRISPE:/POSVIT:HVNC:LAPIDEM:"
A very good example of C17 vernacular almshouses, occupying a very important site
as the first building in the village street.


Listing NGR: ST7739073771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.