This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9091 / 52°54'32"N
Longitude: -1.1115 / 1°6'41"W
OS Eastings: 459850
OS Northings: 335002
OS Grid: SK598350
Mapcode National: GBR 9KJ.MTD
Mapcode Global: WHDH5.W4WM
Plus Code: 9C4WWV5Q+M9
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Rood
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241805
Location: Edwalton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Electoral Ward/Division: Edwalton
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Edwalton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 53 NE and WEST BRIDGFORD VILLAGE STREET
SK 53 SE (south west side)
1/14 Church of the
Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C18. Tower mid C16. Chancel by
Brewill and Baily, 1894. Vestry by L. W. Nunn, mid C20. Coursed
and squared rubble, dressed stone and brick. Ashlar dressings.
Slate, lead and plain tile gabled and lean-to roofs. Partial
plinths. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. Brick
west tower, single stage, has dressed stone plinth plus eaves
band and parapet. Pair of diagonal buttresses to west. West
side has C19 transomed double lancet in C15 style. Above, on
each side, a single chamfered lancet. Nave, coursed rubble,
raised in brick C16 has to south clerestory with 2 square headed
mullioned casements, that to right partly blocked. North side
has at each end, C19 rendered brick buttress and broad off-centre
buttress, all on stone plinths. To left, double lancet with
chamfered mullion. To right, blocked C12 doorway with chamfered
imposts and tympanum. Above, central C16 mullioned casement.
Chancel, partly re-skinned 1983, has to east chamfered plinth and
string course and a pair of corner buttresses. East end has 5
light Perpendicular style lancet with panel tracery. North side
has square headed Perpedicular style triple lancet with panel
tracery. South side has central buttress. To left, Tudor arched
door. To right, triple lancet as to north. Buttressed vestry,
mid C20, L-plan, 3 by 2 bays, has chamfered plinth, 2 coped
gables and metal casements. To west, door with segmental head.
North side has stone inscribed 'L.W. Nunn, Archt.' South aisle
east end has restored chamfered mullioned casement, C16. South
side, 3 bays, has a buttress at each end, that to right restored
and with incised sundial. To left, restored mullioned window.
To right, similar chamfered mullioned window and incised sundial.
South porch, C18, has dentillated eaves and coped gable. To
south, rebated doorway with elliptical head. To left, ornate
iron scraper. Interior has stone benches. Restored inner
doorway with four centred arched head and C16 half-round hood
mould with mask stops. Tower chamber has west window with late
C19 stained glass. Panelled dado. C16 cleft ladder. Nave
south arcade, early C14, 3 bays, has 2 octagonal piers and
matching responds with square chamfered bases and octagonal
capitals. Double chamfered arches. Restored low pitched C15
style roof. North side has to east, stained glass window to
Thurman family, 1906, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Chamfered and
rebated tower arch has C15 style traceried screen, 1949.
Chancel has chamfered and rebated arch containing C15 style
traceried screen with rood, 1886. North side has to left,
opening containing organ, doorway and to right, stained glass
window, 1910 and 1913 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. East end has
panelled dado, aumbry, marble gradine and tabernacle. East
window has stained glass to Turner family, 1918 and 1924, by
William Morris & Co. South side has to east C15 style aumbry,
piscina and triple sedilia with Latin memorial inscriptions to 3
clergy. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and collars.
South aisle has restored lean-to roof. East end has stained
glass window c.1960. South side has to east, stained glass
window to Halford family, c.1923. To west, stained glass window
to A. W. Brewill, RIBA, 1923, Architect of the chancel.
Fittings include chamfered rectangular font bowl, C16, on 4 C19
marble shafts and square base. Hipped wooden cover with re-used
fleur de lys finial. Traceried octagonal skeleton pulpit on
ashlar base. Brass eagle lectern c.1920. 2 C18 carved panel-
back chairs. C19 traceried panelled stalls and desks. 2 late
C20 oak collection boxes on stands. 2 C18 painted canvas
commandment boards. Memorials include Gothic alabaster tablet to
Freeth family, 1823-47. Bronze War Memorial tablet, c.1920.
Listing NGR: SK5985035002
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings