This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8916 / 54°53'29"N
Longitude: -1.9307 / 1°55'50"W
OS Eastings: 404539
OS Northings: 555212
OS Grid: NZ045552
Mapcode National: GBR GCYW.S8
Mapcode Global: WHB2V.99VV
Plus Code: 9C6WV3R9+MP
Entry Name: Hopper Mausoleum North-East of Church of St. Andrew
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240632
Location: Shotley Low Quarter, Northumberland, DH8
Civil Parish: Shotley Low Quarter
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shotley St John
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
SHOTLEY LOW QUARTER GREYMARE HILL
NZ 05 NW
10/261 Hopper Mausoleum
15.4.69 Church of St.
Andrew. (formerly listed
as Hopper family
Mausoleum in St Andrews
Mausoleum allegedly erected by Humphrey Hopper of Black Hedley (q,v.) in
memory-of his wife Jane, d,1752. Tooled ashlar. Square plan with
forecourt on south. Artisan Mannerist style of C17 appearance. Lower
part has segmental-arched recess with hoodmould, holding 2.
recumbent effigies; inscribed panel above to later C18/early C19 members
of family; similar panel on north records earlier memebers. Upper part
has Tuscan arcade and shell-headed niches with allegorical standing
figures; twin niches on north and south with paired columns between.
Above entablature, open scrolly pediment topped by reclining figures
and enclosing Hopper arms (south), scallop shell (north) and shields
with rosette (at sides). Stepped pyramidal roof with pyramidal angle
finials carrying square arched cupola with similar finials at angles
and on swept pyramidal cap.
Forecourt has low wall with chamfered coping and 4 piers to front,
with trefoil-headed panels and pedimented tops; single side piers have
steep pyramidal finials. Simple renewed cast-iron railings and central
Stylistically it would appear more likely that the mausoleum was built
by the Humphrey Hopper recorded in 1663 rather than the mid-C18
Humphrey to whom it is ascribed (the inscribed panels are of C19 date).
Listing NGR: NZ0453955212
Other nearby listed buildings