This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9012 / 51°54'4"N
Longitude: -1.9533 / 1°57'11"W
OS Eastings: 403310
OS Northings: 222518
OS Grid: SP033225
Mapcode National: GBR 3NM.QZN
Mapcode Global: VHB1S.3G7W
Entry Name: Brockhampton Park
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303429
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129154
Location: Sevenhampton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sevenhampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sevenhampton with Charlton Abbots
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 02 SW SEVENHAMPTON BROCKHAMPTON
2/53 Brockhampton Park
Former country house now divided into flats. Dated and initialled
P.P. 1641 on rainwater heads on right-hand wall of early core.
Built by Paul Pert, 1639-1642. Substantial additions and
alterations to house C19 and early C20. Ashlar, stone slate and
concrete tile roof, stone stacks. Early core now forms south-west
corner of house, the central and right-hand gables being those
shown in Kip's engraving of c1710, two gables added left of early
core in same style c1835 (only one now visible). Main body
extended back mid-late C19, rear of wing left of main body dated
1868 on drainpipe brackets, front of same wing, incorporating
tower, dated and initialled F.R. 1908, built by Col. Fairfax
Rhodes. No 22 far left, probably early C18 (q.v. Kip's engraving).
Main body; 2½ storeys with triple gabled entrance front. Upper
floor lit by 3-light hollow-moulded stone-mullioned casements with
dripmoulds. Two and 3-light casements with 'Gothic' glazing to
ground and first floor windows. Dripmould over ground floor
windows, dripmould over first floor windows now interrupted by
later fenestration. Central C19 part-glazed doors within central
projecting porch with 'Tudor'-arched openings on each side, frieze
of blind quatrefoils, embattlemented parapet with octagonal turrets
at each corner. Three storey extension of 1908 incorporating 3
storey tower left; 1, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements with
transoms and 'Tudor'-arched heads to each light. Wing at rear of
main body in similar style with 3 heraldic shields on gables.
Several fine rainwater heads; barley-twist downpipe with beast's
head on rainwater head on south wall, 3 ornate rainwater heads with
scallop shell motifs and lion's head gargoyles on east front.
Roof; octagonal lantern of c1835 left of early core, saddleback
coping, some castellations to 1908 extension. Numerous tall
chimneys with skirtings and moulded cappings and segmental stone
shaft divisions at top.
Interior: Entrance Hall; fine C19 Arts and Crafts Style moulded
plaster ceiling with deep frieze of inter-twined Dog Roses,
circular roundels each depicting a single plant set in ceiling
within geometric border with inter-twined foliate motif. Inner
Hall, lit by lantern (now sealed off) with C19 stained glass,
decorated moulded square panels around lantern opening. Section of
moulded plaster-work with foliate border left of stairs, off outer
hall. C19, C17 style staircase with splat balusters forming
gallery on one side of inner hall. Barrel vaulted cellar
containing well, reputed to lie under early core. Flat 3 (within
mid C19 extension at rear of main body); highly ornate, deeply
moulded ceiling with eclectic decorative motifs; Corinthian-style
cornice, ribs joining main geometric motifs on ceiling, decorated
with vine and acorn motifs. Adam-style fireplace. Similar
ceilings and fireplaces in other rooms.
History; house passed from Pert family to the Dodwells and was
inherited in 1806 by three sisters, Judith and Patience Timbrell
and Rebecca Lightbourne, it then passed to William Morris, and
thence to his son Walter Lawrence. In 1832 the house passed to the
Craven family in whose family it remained until the 1890s. In 1897
it was owned by Major Edward Green de Freville and from 1906-1931
by Col. Fairfax Rhodes and his wife. (Print of original house in
Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire.)
Listing NGR: SP0331022518
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings