This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3929 / 55°23'34"N
Longitude: -2.016 / 2°0'57"W
OS Eastings: 399086
OS Northings: 610993
OS Grid: NT990109
Mapcode National: GBR G6C2.BM
Mapcode Global: WHB09.0Q93
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 21 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236088
Location: Alnham, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
TENTH LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST
COMPILED UNDER SECTION 54 OF THE TOWN AND COUNTRY PLANNING ACT 1971
8/1 ALNHAM ALNHAM
NT 91 SE
8/1 Church of St.Michael
Parish church. Saxon foundation. Largely late C12- early C13. Restored 1870
by F.R. Wilson and again in 1953. Roughly-dressed stone with stone slate roofs.
South transept has graduated Lakeland slate roof.
Nave with west bellcote, south porch, north and south transepts and chancel.
West end has one C12 round-headed window flanked by 2 original buttresses on each
side. Upper part of gable rebuilt and bellcote added in 1870.
All other windows are of 1870 in Transitional style.
3-bay nave. South porch,probably C16 or early C17, has round-headed doorway with
continuous roll moulding and is tunnel-vaulted. Saxon quoins at nave north-east
and south-east corners. 2-bay chancel has priest's door with four-centred arched
North side blank. The nave has the blocked C13 arches of the former 3-bay north
aisle embedded in it. Also later, probably C16, blocked door and blocked C18
round-headed window. Blocked C16 window in chancel north wall.
Interior: Round-headed south door with continuous chamfer. West window is
shafted with round-headed rare arch; shafts and rings are replacements but the
bases and one capital are original. Depressed semicircular chancel arch of 2
chamfers rising from semicircular responds and simply moulded capitals. Arches
into transepts slightly later. North transept has pointed C13 arch with 2
chamfers and octagonal responds. South transept is rougher and simpler but of
Old roof timbers re-used forming collar-beam trusses, partly ceiled in nave.
Late C13 - early C14 segmental-arched tomb recess in chancel south wall.
Small octagonal font dated 1664.
4 medieval grave covers in chancel floor.
Monument to George Alder 1611 in floor of nave with wild lettering and unusual
spelling. Several C17and C18 monuments in south transept.
Northumberland county History Vol. 14 page 563.
Listing NGR: NT9908510991
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings