This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7445 / 51°44'40"N
Longitude: -1.8894 / 1°53'21"W
OS Eastings: 407729
OS Northings: 205095
OS Grid: SP077050
Mapcode National: GBR 3QN.P39
Mapcode Global: VHB2L.6FH0
Plus Code: 9C3WP4V6+R6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128853
Location: Barnsley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Barnsley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 00 NE BARNSLEY A433, Barnsley Village
1/16 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C12 foundation, with subsequent
alterations of every century, including substantial restoration of
1843-7. Mostly coursed rubble stone, on plinth, stone slate roof
with coped verges and cross finials. West tower, nave with 2-bay
north aisle and adjoining porch, south transept, and chancel.
Tower of 2 stages with string courses, lower stage probably c1500
with 3-light Perpendicular window to west and stepped diagonal
buttresses. Upper stage c1600 with single small light to west and
small twin belfry openings below upper string course on each face.
Projecting stone gutters at each corner of string course and small
coped cross gables with finial above parapet on each face and
weathervane at top. South nave wall has one single and 2 twin
lancets of 1843 restoration by James Park Harrison, and one 2-light
C13 window at west end from Daglingworth. South transept added
1876 for organ chamber and includes small Norman single light in
splayed reveal on east wall. Corbel table of original Norman
church continues from inside south transept to eaves level on
outside of chancel, and also on north side. Three-light plain
stepped lancets in east end of 1843 restoration. North aisle of
late C15 has 2 rounded trefoil-head paired lights with square
hoodmoulds, stepped buttresses, coped parapet, door it west end
with moulded square surround and square hoodmould and inner moulded
pointed arch with quatrefoil and mouchettes in spandrels.
Interior: 4-bay hammer beam nave roof of C19, 2-bay aisle to north
of late C15 with central octagonal pier and plain moulded capital.
Two-step chancel arch of C13 on sloping Norman piers with shafts
with differently carved capitals and large pellet mouldings.
Chancel has C14 trussed rafter roof, and restored Early English
piscina in south-east wall and wood lined aumbry in north-east
wall. South transept organ chamber divided from chancel by one
narrow and one wide pointed arch with dog-tooth moulding on south
side and supporting pier of clustered columns, some marble, with
marble banding and carved floral capital. Several monuments, wall
and floor, to Bourchier family (builders of Barnsley House q.v.)
from late C17. (David Verey,Buildings of England -_
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0772905095
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings