This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9639 / 54°57'50"N
Longitude: -2.0394 / 2°2'21"W
OS Eastings: 397574
OS Northings: 563253
OS Grid: NY975632
Mapcode National: GBR GC61.8C
Mapcode Global: WHB2D.NH1G
Plus Code: 9C6VXX76+H6
Entry Name: Chapel
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303600
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239891
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CORBRIDGE DILSTON HALL
NY 96 SE
Roman Catholic Chapel, early C17 perhaps incorporating medieval fabric, reroofed
c.1850. Coursed rubble with roughly-shaped quoins and cut dressings; stone slate
roof (formerly lead). Simple rectangular plan with narrower western stair
turret. Gothic Survival style.
South wall stair turret + 3 bays. Turret has chamfered loop and moulded string
below crenellated moulded parapet; west face has chamfered loop and corbelled
projection to left; on north side a blocked doorway with triangular head beneath
empty panel and chamfered loops. Bellcote behind has triangular-headed opening
and moulded cap. Nave has old boarded door on south in moulded surround with
flattened triangular head, with 2 chamfered single-light windows (upper to former
gallery) and south-east window of 3 pointed lights in square frame, with
hoodmould. North wall shows three 3-light windows, with traces of blocked door
beneath the western; built-in slab with cross and inscription MARIA, in moulded
surround. East end has window of 3 pointed lights under round-headed arch with
hoodmould; panel with Radcliffe arms above. Roman tombstone built into wall below
and small loop to Derwentwater vault just above ground level.
Interior: Old box stalls with fielded panelling, C18 altar rails with moulded
balusters. Old boarded stair in chamfered surround. 4-bay roof has cambered
tie beams carrying purlins and ridge; central tie shows mortices for timbers of
former gallery (Derwentwater family pew). C17 iron-bound chest. Clear leaded
glass in all windows. Derwentwater vault (not seen) has stone stair, beneath
flag in chancel, and ribbed vault.
Rare example of a Post-Reformation Recusant Chapel, traditionally said to have
been built with finances raised for the Gunpower Plot (1605). Anglican from
1733. The Derwentwater Vault was cleared in 1874.
Listing NGR: NY9751163211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings