This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9911 / 54°59'28"N
Longitude: -1.9993 / 1°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 400143
OS Northings: 566283
OS Grid: NZ001662
Mapcode National: GBR GBGQ.YM
Mapcode Global: WHB27.8T62
Plus Code: 9C6WX2R2+F7
Entry Name: Aydon Castle Main Buildings and Courtyard Walls
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239858
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
19/97 Aydon Castle.
and courtyard walls
Fortified Manor house. Solar and east wing c.1280, hall (replacing earlier
structure) slightly later. North-west range and courtyard wall probably
associated with licence to crenellate granted to Robert de Raymes 1305. North-
west range remodelled early C14, outer bailey later C14. Minor alterations in
C16, C17 and C19. C13 parts good-quality squared stone, later additions coursed
rubble with dressings; stone slate roofs.
Original C13 buildings cruciform in plan, on edge of steep valley side. North-
west range and courtyard north of hall. Irregular outer bailey to north and
west, with gateway to north-west and apsidal tower at north corner.
C13 parts have chamfered plinth, and eaves string with stone drain spouts.
Stepped clasping buttresses to south and east, and garderobe projection at
south-east corner of east wing. Early C14 crenellated parapets. Shouldered-
arched doorways to hall block; door to solar undercroft dated 1653 with initials
WC HC (William and Henry Collinson). Ground floor windows mostly chamfered
loops; some inserted C19 sashes. External stone stair on north of hall to
landing with balcony on moulded corbels; chases of 2 former canopies in stonework
above. Hall doorway has double-chamfered pointed arch with moulded hood. Hall
and solar have 2-light windows with twin lancet lights under pointed arches with
moulded hoods; solar north window has quatrefoil in spandrel enclosing bearded
mask. East wing has single-light windows, that to east with foliage hoodmould
stops. Two projecting stacks on east of solar, upper parts rebuilt C20. Stack
on south of hall has semicircular top with pointed vents and pyramidal cap at
eaves level. North-west wing has scattered fenestration, with shouldered heads
to several doorways and 2-light windows; doorway on north with lintel inscribed
Interior: C13 parts have good contemporary fireplaces to solar and solar
basement, simpler fireplace in hall basement. Barrel vault in north-west range
is probably C17 insertion. Stone-walled screens passage in hall is later
medieval replacement of timber partitions; chamber to west, and room above, have
fireplaces with C16 Carnaby arms. Chamber in east wing with wall cupboard, sink
and garderobe; further cupboards and sinks in north-west (kitchen) range.
2-light windows in hall and solar have window seats. C17 hall roof has principal-
rafter trusses with collars. North-west range has roof with curved principals,
Courtyard wall has segmental-pointed gateway and crenellated parapet with arrow
loops in merlons; square-headed doorway in north-west range gives access to wall
An exceptionally well-preserved building unique in the County. Its interpretation
has aroused some controversy, as to whether the house was planned as two dwellings
since functions on ground and 1st floors seem to be duplicated.
Northumberland County History X (1910) 350-366 (W.H. Knowles).
Listing NGR: NZ0014366283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings