This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4292 / 55°25'45"N
Longitude: -1.6172 / 1°37'1"W
OS Eastings: 424326
OS Northings: 615101
OS Grid: NU243151
Mapcode National: GBR K54N.PL
Mapcode Global: WHC1F.4S6R
Plus Code: 9C7WC9HM+M4
Entry Name: Church of Saints Peter and Paul
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237039
Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Longhoughton
Built-Up Area: Longhoughton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhoughton
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2515 LONGHOUGHTON LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE
18/148 Church of Ss.
31.12.69 Peter and Paul
Parish Church. Nave and west part of chancel probably mid-C11; west tower
early C12; south aisle, chancel extension and perhaps upper part of tower
c.1200; porch remodelled C18; upper part of tower remodelled c.1840 after a
fire; restoration with partial rebuilding of aisle and chancel, and addition
of vestry, 1873 by Streatfield. C11 parts coursed rubble; tower large squared
sandstone blocks, red in lower part and grey above; chancel extension squared
stone; aisle large rubble; porch squared stone except for older rubble on
west; 1873 parts squared stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof.
Plan: nave with large west tower, 3-bay south aisle and south porch, chancel
with north vestry.
Broad squat west tower in two stages divided by chamfered setback. Later
medieval stepped buttresses on south and west and narrow round-headed lights
in each wall. C19 two-light belfry openings in Saxon style, except on east
where there is an old blocked opening and weatherings of 2 levels of nave
roof; string below C19 embattled parapet.
West end of aisle has old chamfered plinth and C19 two-light window. South
wall largely C19 except for old stepped buttress at each end. Porch has plain
round-headed arch and coped gable with finial cross; wood-topped rubble
benches and C19 south door: studded, with foliate hinges in moulded pointed
arch. Two windows, each of 2 trefoiled lights, to east. East end of aisle
shows C15 two-light window with panelled square head, under head of C13 lancet.
North wall of nave shows three 1873 trefoil-headed lancets, and jambs of
blocked medieval door.
Chancel shows medieval masonry in lower parts of walls only; all windows C19:
paired and single lancets on south, single lancet on north, and 3 stepped
round-headed lights in east end. Incorporated in east wall C12 chevron-
moulded voussoir and head of C12 cross slab. Gabled vestry with 2-light
window. C19 coped gables and finial crosses.
Interior: Plastered. Moulded semicircular tower arch with chamfered imposts
on stepped jambs. Arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches, with chamfered
hood to nave, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, and corbel
responds. South aisle east window has shouldered round rear arch. C11
slightly-stilted round chancel arch of one square order, with chamfered impost
band; large squint to south. Chancel has double-chamfered segmental-pointed
arch to vestry/organ chamber and two small recesses with pointed arches, one
trefoiled, south of sanctuary. C19 roofs: nave with arch-braced collar-beam
trusses and scissor braces, chancel with similar trusses and wagon vault.
Font has older octagonal bowl on C19 panelled shaft and moulded base.
Monuments: various C18 and early C19 wall tablets in south aisle. Old
candelabra in nave now fitted with electric lights.
Listing NGR: NU2432615100
Other nearby listed buildings