This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3268 / 55°19'36"N
Longitude: -1.6668 / 1°40'0"W
OS Eastings: 421236
OS Northings: 603685
OS Grid: NU212036
Mapcode National: GBR J6SV.X9
Mapcode Global: WHC1Z.CCHR
Plus Code: 9C7W88GM+P7
Entry Name: Guyzance Hall and East Wing Cottage
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236694
Location: Acklington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Acklington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Acklington St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ACKLINGTON GUYZANCE HALL
NU 20 SW
7/24 Guyzance Hall,
and East Wing
Country House: Original Barnhill farmhouse c.1800 with major extensions 1894
by W.H. Knowles for J.D. Milburn; tower c.1920.
Squared stone except for squared rubble in north-west wing and snecked stone
ballroom extension; graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for red clay tiles
on ballroom range and flat roofs (not seen) on tower and ballroom extension.
Irregular L-plan. Late C19 and early C20 parts in neo-Tudor style.
South elevation: House to left, ballroom range to right. House in 3 sections:
2-storey, 3-bay left part is original farmhouse with inserted cross window in
former central doorway and flanking full-height canted bays; embattled parapet.
Centre part is 3- + 4-storey 3-bay tower: projecting centre bay with coffered
double doors in moulded 4-centred arch under canted oriel, and large sundial
initialled L M below carved cornice; transomed windows on returns; lower side
parts with mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows; embattled parapets.
2-storey, 2-bay right part has timber-framed 1st floor with pebbledashed
infill, and gablets over windows. All windows leaded casements. Chimney
stacks with multiple octagonal shafts and moulded cornices. Lower ballroom
range to right has single-storey front extension, with half-glazed door flanked
by 2-light windows. Projecting cross-gabled right end bay, behind outbuilding
range (q.v.) is East Wing Cottage, with early C20 casements on right return.
4-bay west (entrance) front has right-of-centre projecting porch with Ionic
screen, transomed 1st floor window with '1894' date panel in blind upper
light, and shaped gable; various sash windows.
Interior: Open-well stair in tower. Dining room has re-set C18 pine panelling
from North Seaton Hall (now demolished), with fluted Corinthian pilasters
flanking the fireplace and a good cornice. Ballroom has coffered segmental
ceiling, minstrel's gallery on Ionic columns and central arcade.
Listing NGR: NU2123603685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings