This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.8484 / 54°50'54"N
Longitude: -2.0541 / 2°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 396626
OS Northings: 550400
OS Grid: NY966504
Mapcode National: GBR GD3C.3S
Mapcode Global: WHB2Z.FD3H
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304226
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240380
Location: Blanchland, Northumberland, DH8
Civil Parish: Blanchland
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blanchland with Hunstanworth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLANCHLAND BLANCHLAND VILLAGE
24/14 Church of St. Mary
15.4.69 (formerly listed as Church
of St Mary the Virgin)
Parish church, formerly part of church of Premonstratensian abbey founded 1165
by Walter de Bolbec. Chancel c,1200-1210, north transept and tower mid C13
except for belfry stage of tower, C14. Repaired and adapted as parish church
1752 by Lord Crewe trustees, transept aisle rebuilt 1854, east end rebuilt 1881.
Squared stone with dressings; stone slate roof. L-plan, with tower at end of
north transept. Early English style.
Tower in 4 stages: chamfered plinth, set-backs and string courses; clasping
buttresses, north-western with newel stair (lit by chamfered loops) rising to
belfry, north-eastern with gabled heads below 2nd stage. Boarded doors on west
and east; western has pointed arch of 2 moulded orders with trefoil-headed
recess to north, beneath roof weathering of pre-1752 village chapel; eastern
has double-chamfered arch beneath steeply-pitched roof tabling of contemporary
chantry chapel. Lancet on north in triple-chamfered surround; similar window,
its head widened, above west door. Belfry stage has openings of 2 trefoiled
ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil over, and plain parapet. To south of tower,
4-bay west wall with central buttress formed from stub of north wall of abbey
nave. 2-light windows with Y-tracery, the southern C18 copies. 2-bay east
aisle of transept has 2-light windows in C14 style and lancet to north (blocked
pointed windows above aisle roof date from use of an upper floor as schoolroom,
1828-1851). Chancel has 2 lancets on north and south and a C19 triplet, with
shafted jambs, on the east.
Interior. Tall triple-chamfered tower arch; aisle arcade of pointed double-
chamfered arches with broach stops and chamfered hood, corbels and round column;
triple-chamfered transept arch on triple-shafted jambs, the broader central
shaft with fillet. Shouldered doorway to tower stair. Chancel lancets, have
lost jamb shafts; rear arches of east lancets form part of 5-bay wall arcade.
Triple sedilia on south largely C19; further west quirked jambs of blocked
sacristy door. Plain C12 or C13 font. 6 complete medieval grave slabs in
transept floor, including 2 to abbots and 2, with appropriate emblems, to
foresters. Small panels of C15 glass, 2 with figures of Premonstratensian
canons, in chancel windows. C18 arched commandment, creed and pater boards:
Old wall safe in transept aisle. Carved and panelled chancel ceiling of 1881;
sanctuary panelling, and reredos of 1890, carved screen and seating 1913.
'The Premonstratensian Abbey of St. Mary, Blanchland, Northumberland',
W.H. Knowles. Arch. J. LIX (1902) 328-41.
Listing NGR: NY9662550398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings