This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7733 / 50°46'23"N
Longitude: -2.4045 / 2°24'16"W
OS Eastings: 371570
OS Northings: 97158
OS Grid: SY715971
Mapcode National: GBR PZ.6QRB
Mapcode Global: FRA 57V1.H1P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304468
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104930
Location: Piddlehinton, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Piddlehinton
Built-Up Area: Piddlehinton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Piddlehinton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 79 NW
RECTORY ROAD (South side)
Church of St Mary
Parish Church. Tower and south aisle, C15; chancel nave and south porch C16 ;north porch, nave extensions and general restorations 1867. 1867 work by E Christian. Walls of ashlar and banded flint and rubble with ashlar dressings. Gable ended slate roofs with partial stone-slate verges and stone copings. C15, C16 and C19 parts in the 'perpendicular' style.
Plan: chancel, nave, south tower, north and south porches.
Tower:three-stages separated by strings; plinth and embattled parapet; gargoyles to parapet string; corner standards with crocketted finials; rectangular vice turret with loops; square set buttresses; two-centred south window of three-lights with vertical tracery and a label bearing head stops; second stage has loops east and west; third stage has two-centred, two-light windows having labels with head stops.
South aisle: ashlar parapet with gargoyle; window of three-lights with square head and vertical tracery. Chancel: north and south windows of two-lights with square heads and labels with head stops; east window of three-lights under two-centred head with vertical tracery and label with head stops; two-centred north door with carved foliage spandrels and square label with carved stops. North aisle and nave: east and west windows are C19 of three-lights with vertical tracery under two-centred heads with head-stop labels; north windows C19 of two and three-lights with square heads and head-stop labels.
North porch has two-centred, moulded head with head stop label. South porch has moulded, four-centred head and continuous jambs.
Interior features: north aisle arcade of four bays with two-centred moulded arches, the hollow chamfer of which is continuous with the piers; north arcade piers have four shafts with moulded capitals; south aisle has single, moulded, segmental pointed arch having central wave moulding continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded bases and capitals, the latter having leaf enrichment; two-centred, moulded, tower arch, having central hollow chamfer continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded bases and capitals, the latter having foliage enrichment; two-centred, moulded, chancel arch, having central hollow chamfer continuous with jambs and respond shafts with moulded capitals; C19 king-post roof to nave; C19 arch braced collar beam roof to north-aisle; flat roof dated 1756 to south aisle with moulded beams and circular bosses; C18 or C19 plastered, ribbed barrel vault with carved bosses to chancel; squint; C19 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; ogee headed piscina; sedilla with trefoiled tracery; carved angel on south side arcade respond; shallow niches in chancel; C16, C17, C18, C19 and C20 wall plates and monuments; other fittings largely C19/C20.
Listing NGR: SY7156997159
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings