This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7854 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: -2.1951 / 2°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 386638
OS Northings: 209656
OS Grid: SO866096
Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.3TB
Mapcode Global: VH94R.WDX4
Plus Code: 9C3VQRP3+5X
Entry Name: Three King and One Hillman Monuments Circa 15 Metres North of the Tower in Churchyard of the Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133386
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK NEW STREET
SO 8609 (part)
9/199 Three King and one Hillman
monuments c.15 m north of
tower in churchyard of the
church of St Mary
Chest tombs. Late C17 to mid C18. Limestone.
(a) Lofty chest tomb, flat table to weathered and moulded edge, frieze with egg
and dart embellishment; fluted ends over double scroll, sunk moulded panels
north and south, cavetto base on sub-base. Copper panel on top records Martha
King, 1725; other inscriptions badly eroded. The 1879 survey gives John King,
1780 and the monument probably of that period.
(b) Flat table to moulded edge, lyre ends, badly worn; sunk moulded panels
north and south, on wide cyma base. Some bad frost damage in 1985/86 season.
The 1879 survey records Judith King, 1692, and the monument could be of that
(c) Flat table to moulded edge, pilaster corners with sunk panel and inter-
locking dentil embellishment. Sunk shouldered panels east and west, elliptical
panels north and south, wide cavetto base, inscriptions not legible. The 1879
survey gives Thomas and Rebecca King, 17.., and the design of the monument
suggest early in the C18. It is reported that it was damaged when the church
spire fell in 1883.
(d) Lofty chest tomb with inset corners. Plat table to moulded edge, frieze
with egg and dart embellishment, sunk moulded panels east and west with cherubs
and floral urn; badly worn cartouches north and south, cavetto base on
sub-base. Not legible, but 1879 survey records Josiah Hillman of Paradice (qv
Paradise House) 1775; he was a benefactor to the church and died at the age of
91. Probably damaged when the church spire fell in 1883.
Listing NGR: SO8663809656
Other nearby listed buildings