This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8429 / 52°50'34"N
Longitude: 1.1817 / 1°10'54"E
OS Eastings: 614374
OS Northings: 332008
OS Grid: TG143320
Mapcode National: GBR VCK.RLK
Mapcode Global: WHLR9.3SZY
Plus Code: 9F43R5VJ+5M
Entry Name: Mannington Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224070
Location: Mannington Hall, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Itteringham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Itteringham with Mannington
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
Tagged with: English country house
TG 13 SW
Large moated hall house of c1460 with later additions mainly of 1864. Galletted mosaic of coursed alternating whole iron stained flints and knapped flints. Lincolnshire Limestone elements. Pantile roof. Hall, now floored, with parlour and chamber over to right, screens passage and service area with chamber over to left. Third storey above.
West front: three storeys; stone dressings to plinth, quoins, and embattled parapet, string course with gargoyle grotesques below parapet. Large polygonal clasping turret to right. Off centre door to screens passage to left has four-centred arch, hollow chamfered rendered brick square hood mould with square rebated stops. C14 fragment of unattached label stop depicting bust of civilian to left. Above and to sides of doorway inscription, mainly of 1864 in Black Letter. To right inserted fragments including arms in terracotta and stone. All ground floor and first floor windows of rendered brick mullions with plain segmental heads having square brick hood moulds with square rebated label stops; ground floor to left of door of two lights, four lights to hall and to parlour to right, first floor of four lights to chamber above service area to right and above parlour to left, three scattered two light windows to centre. Second floor has five evenly spaced two-light windows in rendered brick beneath four centred arches and hood moulds. One square headed window of two lights to each floor of polygonal turret at right angle.
South Facade: Single bay gable end of hall of two storeys and attic. Embattled polygonal clasping turrets at right and left angles, that to right being smaller. Plain parapet to gable with stone plaque at apex. Turrets and gable parapets articulated by string course. Windows as in west facade, the same to attic/second floor, four leaded lights to ground and first floor. One two-light square headed window to each floor of left hand turret. Wide one bay, two storey extension of 1864 to right to match; four-light stone mullioned windows to ground and first floor; platband and decorative tiles in moulded gault brick; embattled parapet with blank gothic panel tracery in stone, having frieze below of moulded gault brick tiles. Clasping polygonal buttress to right angle has ball finial.
East facing return to north: lower part of wall rebuilt 1969 when single storey addition of 1864 was demolished, two four-light mullioned windows from 1864 addition were inserted; upper wall of 1864 has two four-light mullions. Parapet has blank stone Gothic panel tracery with frieze below of moulded brick tiles, those to north of C15 those to south of 1864 in gault Costessey brick to match. Parapet and frieze articulated by moulded brick pilasters. C17 domestic range to east at right refaced 1969; brick under pantiles. Arched doorway and four-light mullioned window of 1864 inserted. Chimneys to main hall, 1864 extension and domestic range in groups of two and four with decorative moulded brick shafts with elaborate oversailing caps; some of these in red brick of C16, others in C19 gault brick to match.
East Front to Moat: domestic range of five bays. Two storeyed brick gable of C17 range to left, coursed flint base with two large buttresses; mullioned windows with square hood moulds having square rebated stops of three lights to ground floor and of two lights to first floor. To left four bay range of 1896 on old foundations. Pebble flint under pantiles. Four gabled half dormers with three-light mullioned windows, scattered fenestration below. North gable of range in pebble flint, dated 1896 on plaque with Walpole arms surmounted by coronet. Lean-to to gable and adjacent north facing wall rising from moat in brick under pantiles has curved east end.
Courtyard approached by bridge (qv 7/51). Service range of 1896 to east: mosaic of galletted knapped flints and whole flints; roof in vertical stripes of black glazed and red pantiles; parapeted gable. Ground floor casement windows and doors under segmentel arches. Two gabled half dormers. Elaborate C19 moulded axial chimney shafts, three to left, four to right, one at right gable. North gable of hall to south: large blocked window to first floor, two-light attic window in gault brick. Two storey brick service range to left, C19 facade with four sashes with glazing bars to first floor, door and varied fenestration to ground floor. Chimney stack of four gault brick shafts, 2 x 2, above large internal fire place.
Interior: Screens passage has closed string hall staircase of 1864 and panelling with acorn frieze. Fire place in room to left lined with Dutch tiles has three coats of arms, one effaced, one of the Ironmongers Company, the other a merchant's mark. Hall to right: large fire place with pointed segmental arch lined with Dutch tiles, to original external east wall. C16 panelling from Irmingland Hall has carved frieze and three figure-head brackets over fireplace. Round headed arch to right of fire place with projecting keystones and imposts leads to dining room of 1864 which has plaster ceiling and marble fireplace both with monogram HWW (Horatio Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford). Parlour to right of hall has four-centred moulded arch to fire place; heraldic stained glass c1902.
Listing NGR: TG1437432008
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings