This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9383 / 51°56'17"N
Longitude: -2.4212 / 2°25'16"W
OS Eastings: 371141
OS Northings: 226728
OS Grid: SO711267
Mapcode National: GBR FZ.N21F
Mapcode Global: VH86D.ZJCY
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125720
Location: Oxenhall, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL18
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Oxenhall
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Oxenhall St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 NW OXENHALL -
3/183 Church of St. Anne
Parish church; C14 tower, rest rebuilt 1867 by John Middleton.
Squared, roughly coursed stone to tower; squared uncoursed red
stone, white ashlar dressings to rest, tiled roof. Four-bay nave,
2-bay chancel, south porch, west tower and spire, vestry. Moulded
plinth to 3 storey tower, diagonally-set corner buttresses: at
base boarded door on left, quadrant for tower stair on right,
rising against nave gable: former door near bottom, slit window in
blocking, further slit above. Partly built-up lancet with trefoil
head to second stage, 2-light mullioned window, reticulated tracery
above. Plain string course below 2 crenels per face in parapet.
Truncated octagonal stone spire with rib to angles, lancet with
ogee head partway up. Nave, plain plinth, square-set buttresses
with 2 offsets; on left single lancet with reticulated tracery,
hoodmould with uncarved block stops. Gabled porch over boarded
door, nook shafts with floriate capitals, headstops to hoodmoulds.
Stone base to porch, open timber work above, pointed arch with
sidelights under steeply-cambered tiebeam: collar and studs above,
backed diagonal boarding: carved bargeboards. Sides 3 lights
with trefoil heads. To right two 2-light windows, otherwise as
left of porch. Parapet gable, cross gablet apex with floriate
cross. Chancel 2 windows and 2 buttresses, as east end of nave:
uncarved corbelled eaves: parapet gable as nave.
Interior: chancel arch moulded, with alternate red and 2 white
voussoirs, rising off floriate capitals to marble columns, on angel
corbels: head stops to hoodmould. Archbraced collar trusses off
ornate floriate corbels, cross in circle above collar. Chancel:
Low moulded string, marble nook-shafts to windows, recess below
south-eastern to form sedilia. Aumbry on left with trefoil head,
diaper back, ornate floriate corbel below. Reredos stone, blind
arcading, diaper background, cinquefoil heads, quatrefoils between
with flowers and leaves. Panelled boarded barrel-vault ceiling
off angel corbels. Panelled wooden pulpit, 1632 (dated):
important circular Norman lead font, blind arcading to sides,
containing alternately figures and scrolls, on single stone base,
square, reducing to octagon above with broaches. Late C18 and
early C19 wall monuments in tower base. Date of rebuilding as
on notice in church, presumably of completion. Top of spire
removed 1972. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest
of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7114126728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings