This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.063 / 51°3'46"N
Longitude: -2.3115 / 2°18'41"W
OS Eastings: 378264
OS Northings: 129345
OS Grid: ST782293
Mapcode National: GBR 0VF.BDK
Mapcode Global: FRA 6619.P9S
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103066
Location: Silton, Dorset, Dorset, SP8
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Silton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Silton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 72 NE SILTON CHURCH ROAD
2/225 2/1 Church of
16.8.60. St Nicholas
Parish Church, late C12 arcade, C14 and C15 chancel, south aisle, west
tower and north chapel, C17 north nave wall insert, general restoration
of 1869. Coursed, squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Chapel
entirely of ashlar. Tiled, gable-ended roofs with end stone copings.
Diagonal buttresses. Arcade is Romanesque, remainder of church in
Perpendicular style. Tower: 2 stages separated by string-course;
embattled parapet with string course bearing corner gargoyles; south
vice turret; 3-light, pointed west window; bell stage has pointed
2-light, 2-centred windows with panel tracery with pierced stone panels
and labels; chamfered, 4-centred vice door. 2 outer aisle windows are
pointed with panel tracery. The central window is similar but with
Y-tracery. West wall of aisle has pointed, panel tracery, 3-light
window. North nave wall has similar C19 copies of south aisle windows.
North chapel has embattled parapet and string course with gargoyles.
4-centred east chapel window with panel tracery and label. C19 pointed
east chancel window of 3-lights. Pointed south chancel window. South
porch has moulded, 4-centred arch in square surround and has carved
foliage in the spandrels. Label with head stops. 4-centred, moulded
south door was with heavy ribbed, plank door. Porch has arch braced
collar beam roof with carved wall plate and bosses. Internal features:
4 bay arcade with pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on round piers
with moulded bases and fluted collarette capitals; C19 pointed chancel
arch springing from corbels; pointed tower arch with shafted jambs;
squint from aisle to chancel; C19 wooden pulpit; C19 octagonal stone
font; C19 glass; C17/C18 and C19 monuments, the most notable being
that to Sir Hugh Wyndham kt, 1692; this monument has statue of judge
with mourners flanked by composite columns with spiral shafts supporting
segmental canopy; ogee-headed cusped piscina; restored square-headed
sedile; C16 wagon roofs to nave and aisles with moulded members and
carved bosses and wall-plates; chapel has stone fan-vault springing
from carved angel corbels.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 77-78, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 391/2).
Listing NGR: ST7826329347
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings