This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7276 / 51°43'39"N
Longitude: -2.0793 / 2°4'45"W
OS Eastings: 394616
OS Northings: 203210
OS Grid: SO946032
Mapcode National: GBR 2P8.P3M
Mapcode Global: VH950.XV30
Plus Code: 9C3VPWHC+27
Entry Name: Bachelors Court
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128382
Location: Sapperton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Sapperton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sapperton St Kenelm
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 90 SW SAPPERTON SAPPERTON VILLAGE
1/106 No. 21 (Bachelors Court )
4.6.52 (formerly listed as Cottage
occupied by N. Jewson)
Former farmhouse, now house. Early C18. Rubble stone with
Cotswold stone-slate roof. Main range set back from pathway with
additional contemporary wing on left forming L-plan. Main range
has one large stone gable stack to right, and one small brick gable
stack to left. Steep pitched blind central gable to main range.
2 windows, 2-light wooden casements with lead lights. Ground
floor has 2-light window to left, 3-light to right and central
gabled porch built 1840 with chamfered 4-centred arched doorway.
Interior contains some plasterwork and woodwork by Gimson: ground
floor left-hand room has polygonal oak corner cupboard with wooden
carved panel and inset date 1915, above and over doorway to left
are small animal figures in plaster frieze. Fireplace in right-
hand room on 1st floor has some small plaster motifs with date 1913
and entwined initials MJ. 2-storey wing to left has central brick
stack and lobby entry with newel stair over fireplace, and 4
windows, similar to main range. This cottage was occupied for
many years by Norman Jewson, pupil of Ernest Gimson, who came to
Sapperton soon after Gimson and the Barnsley brothers. It was
occupied until 1984 by his daughter, Nancy.
Listing NGR: SO9461603210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings