This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7132 / 50°42'47"N
Longitude: -2.6306 / 2°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 355570
OS Northings: 90581
OS Grid: SY555905
Mapcode National: GBR PS.JPKR
Mapcode Global: FRA 57C6.BYQ
Entry Name: Baglake Farmhouse and Attached Wall to East for 26 Metres
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105272
Location: Long Bredy, Dorset, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Long Bredy
Built-Up Area: Litton Cheney
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Long Bredy St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 59 SE LONG BREDY BAGLAKE FARM
1/152 Baglake Farmhouse and
attached wall to east
26.1.56 for 26 metres
Detached Farmhouse. C17 house, with south block totally refashioned in early C18
under ownership of William Light. Coursed, squared rubble-stone walls, with stone
dressings. Plain clay tile roof with gable ends. Stone gable-copings with scroll
kneelers. Brick stacks, C19 renewals, at gable-ends, and on ridge right of centre.
South block, with 3 parallel rear wings having C17 evidence. South elevation:
2 storeys with attics. 7 windows, sashes with thin glazing-bars in recessed frames.
Stone cills. Upper central window with a segmental head. East gable-wall has a
single rectangular light with a small plank door. Front door at centre, with
6 fielded-panels, C20. Rusticated concrete architrave, C20. Wooden canopy with
large scrolled brackets in C18 style. Rear wings: east wing with dentil brick
cornice, c.C18, on east side. The rear wall has 2 cross-transom mullion windows
with hollow chamfers, C17, possibly reset; metal casements with lozenge leaded
lights, C20. Central wing with same window type. West wing with brickwork of
c.1800. Interior: south block of 3 rooms' width with large central hall, flagged.
Ceiling-beams roughly adzed. Two front rooms with complete bolection-moulded and
fielded panelling. Integral alcove,, left of centre with shutters. Egg-and-dart
surround to fielded-panel over fireplace. Fielded-panel window shutters, to ground
and first floor rooms with window-seats. Attached boundary wall to east of house,
rubble-stone base and chalk cob wall with a thatch coping. Door into garden with a
plank and slatted door and wooden lintel over.
(RCHM Dorset I, p.41 (3). C. J. Bailey, The Bride Valley (1982), p.39.))
Listing NGR: SY5557090581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings