This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8258 / 50°49'32"N
Longitude: -2.13 / 2°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 390941
OS Northings: 102924
OS Grid: ST909029
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZX.2BP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66FX.811
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103360
Location: Spetisbury, Dorset, Dorset, DT11
Civil Parish: Spetisbury
Built-Up Area: Spetisbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Spetisbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 SW BOURNEMOUTH ROAD
8/85 Church of St John
Parish church, north arcade late C12 or early C13, west tower late C15 or
early C16, north chapel 1868, remainder of church 1858, restoration of 1895.
1858 work by T H Wyatt. Flint with squared rubble and banded flint and rubble
with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave; chancel;
west tower; north aisle and chapel; south porch, 3-stage tower with weathered
strings, embattled parapet, diagonal buttresses to first stage and octagonal
north vice. Chamfered, pointed west door. Single-light west window with pointed
head. Paired belfry windows with pointed heads under square, stopped labels.
North aisle has 2 and 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows under straight heads,
some original, reset. East chancel window of 3 tracery lancets under common
pointed head. North and south chancel walls have lancets and paired lancets.
Pointed priest's door of 2 chamfered orders. 3-light Perpendicular south nave
windows under square heads. Gabled porch with pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders
and plate tracery windows. Inner door with pointed, moulded head.
Internal features; 3 bay arcade of stilted segmental arches on cylindrical columns
with moulded capitals; pointed tower arch of 3 chamfered orders dying into responds;
early C17 polygonal pulpit with panelled sides having highly enriched decoration
with Ionic capitals, beasts, cherub-heads, strapwork etc: Various monuments, notably
a chest tomb to John Bowyer 1599 with strapwork enrichment over which is a heavy
pediment with scrolled frieze supported on Ionic columns and half-columns; C19
and C20 glass; painted inscription to bell-ringers on painted panel in tower.
(RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.242/3, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings
of England: Dorset 1972m p.394/5.)
Listing NGR: ST9094202924
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings