This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8619 / 51°51'42"N
Longitude: -2.3374 / 2°20'14"W
OS Eastings: 376859
OS Northings: 218204
OS Grid: SO768182
Mapcode National: GBR 0JQ.9VH
Mapcode Global: VH949.FGNH
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305341
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125548
Location: Churcham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL2
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Churcham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Churcham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 71 NE CHURCHAM CHURCH LANE
11/15 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church; C12, 14/15C, 1878: Nave and tower random rubble,
with large, squared quoins: chancel mixed squarish and flat stone,
with ashlar buttresses: tiled roof to nave, shingles to spire,
slates to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Tower
in 3 stages, marked by slight offsets in wall: 4 lancets, lower 3
round-headed, top pointed. Above shingled gables on each face, with
a helm roof above, terminating in an iron cross. Louvred, 2-light
square-headed openings in each gable. Nave: gabled porch off-
centre to left: pointed arch to opening, hoodmould with floriate
stops, wrought-iron gates. Parapet gable, with cube set diagonally
on apex, as sundial, gnomon on 3 faces; ball finial. 2-light
windows in side walls. Porch covers south door, semi-circular
moulded arch on C19 columns within C19 trefoil-head to doorway,
with plain tympanum. Low, plain plinth to rear; to left of porch
3-light Perpendicular window, like all on south side without
hoodmould. Jamb of blocked opening to right visible over porch
roof. To right of porch 2-light reticulated-tracery window, with,
to its left, jamb and part of arch of C12 window, surviving stones
moulded, capital with volute. Gable parapets, apex cross at east
end. Plain plinth to chancel, diagonally-set buttress at east end.
2-light geometric tracery window on left, boarded priest's door
just right of centre, no hoodmould. North door to nave C19 rebuild
of C12 opening; above a carved stone, said to be C3 A.D., a
standing figure, arms raised as in prayer, circles with 4 spokes to
left and right, all under a curved arch.
Interior, plain plaster to walls. Wide, semi-circular arch to
tower, springing from abacus. Chancel arch 2 columns each side
with cushion capitals, moulded arches above. 3-bay roof, crown-
post trusses on wall posts, with braces, half trusses between.
Chancel, eastern end late C19 Jacobean-style panelling to 2 m:
open, scissor-braced rafter roof. Octagonal stone font, 1884;
leaves to bowl, supported on grotesques, with cinquefoil-headed
panelling to stem, leaves and flowers on base. Two C18 wall
monuments, 2 Norman revival wall monuments in chancel, 1842 and
1843. Plain piscina by pulpit in nave. Heavily restored by Waller
and Son in 1878 following a fire. Forms group with Churcham Court.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).
Listing NGR: SO7685918204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings