This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9521 / 50°57'7"N
Longitude: -2.193 / 2°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 386540
OS Northings: 116985
OS Grid: ST865169
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y8.BC5
Mapcode Global: FRA 669L.FGP
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305380
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103140
Location: Fontmell Magna, Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Fontmell Magna
Built-Up Area: Fontmell Magna
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Fontmell Magna St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
shall be ammended to read:
ST 8616 FONTWELL MAGNA CHURCH STREET (West Side)
8/52 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church, west tower of C15 origin, remainder 1862 and later possibly incor-
porating some original fabric. 1862 work by G Evans of Wimborne for Sir Richard Glyn.
Coursed rubble and ashlar with lead roofs. Plan: nave; chancel; north and south
aisles; west tower, north vestry, south porch. C15 and C19 work in the Perpendicular
style. Tower: 4 stages separated by weathered strings: top stage entirely C19;
diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with string bearing gargoyles and surmounted
by crochetted pinnacles; moulded 4-centred west door; 3-light west window with
pointed head and label with carved stops; rectangular loops to second stage; third
stage has C15 pointed 2-light windows with original labels with carved stops;
fourth stage has paired rectangular lights with labels with head stops. Remainder
of church has a parapet of solid quatrefoils with openwork panelling above. A
section of this over the north aisle is C16 (said to be dated 1530), rest is C19.
Some panels bear carved decoration. Below is a string course with gargoyles.
North aisle has 4 reset, pointed C15 2-light windows. Vestry has a single-light
window with traceried head and returned label. The chancel has a 5-light east
window with 4-centred head and returned label with carved stops. The south wall of
the chancel has 2 segmental-headed, 2-light windows with labels having head stops.
These flank a pointed, moulded door with ogee label terminating in a carved finial.
The south aisle has pointed east and west wall windows of 3 lights with stopped
labels. South wall has 3-light square headed window with 4-centred tracery arch
and stopped label. Other windows are square-headed of 2 and 3 lights with stopped
label. South porch has moulded, pointed arch with respond shafts and carved
4 bay, pointed, moulded arcades on piers with 4 applied shafts and elaborately carved
C19 capitals by Boulton. Pointed, moulded chancel arch. Pointed, moulded tower arch.
Nave and chancel have C19 hammer-beam roofs springing from carved corbels. Beamed
aisle roofs. C19 carved stone pulpit by Blentham with carved figures of the
4 Evangelists. C19 encaustic tiles. C12 font with cauldron shaped bowl with scrolls
and birds carved in high relief. C20 pews with traceried ends. C16 tower screen
with mixture of gothic and early renaissance detail. C17 and C18 reset wall
(RCHM, Dorset, Vol IV, p 22/3, no 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, The Buildings of
England, Dorset 1972, p 207/8. Brocklebank, Joan, Victorian Stone Carvers in
Dorset Churches 1856-1880, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST8654016985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings