This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7329 / 51°43'58"N
Longitude: -2.2472 / 2°14'50"W
OS Eastings: 383021
OS Northings: 203824
OS Grid: SO830038
Mapcode National: GBR 1MQ.8ND
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.0PBY
Entry Name: No. 23 (Stanley Park Lodge) with Archway No. 24 (The Clock House)no. 25 (Stable Cottage), the Stirrups and Nos 9 and 10
Listing Date: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131925
Location: King's Stanley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: King's Stanley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Selsley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8203-8303 KING'S STANLEY SELSLEY WEST
14/51 No 23 (Stanley Park Lodge) with
archway, No 24 (The Clock
House), No 25 (Stable Cottage), The
Stirrups and Nos 9 and 10
Dovecote and house with attached lodge; former stables, now house, and coach-house with 2 flats over. Dovecote and house dated 1692 for John Jeffreys; lodge by Joseph Franklin, 1852, and coach-house, 1872, for S.S. Marling. Coursed rubble and ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Dovecote tower and attached single-storey house with attic running to north east (No 25 and No 24); two-storey lodge attached at south east corner (No 23) with linking archway to south. Single-storey with attic range running north west from dovecote tower (The Stirrups). Coach-house with stair tower running south west from north west end of The Stirrups. Coach house and The Stirrups on 2 adjacent sides of courtyard. Parapet gables on 3 sides of dovecote, each with oval window dated 1692; roof hipped on south west side linking with The Stirrups; small cross-gabled timber cupola to dovecote with ball finial and iron weathervane. House range running north west has parapet gable to left with 2-light mullioned casement with hood to attic; oval over dated 1692. Various lean-to additions to ground floor, that to left with mullioned windows and doorway with projecting stone hood on brackets. Cluster of 5 ridge-mounted chimney shafts. South east side of range has parapet gable to left dated 1692 but apparently much altered in C19. To right 2 parapet-gabled attic dormers with 3-light casements having Tudor-arched heads, all C19. North east end of range has gable with 2-light upper floor casement dated 1692 but also appears largely C19. Octagonal clock face in gable, with gabled timber hood. Angled corner bay window to lodge set at 45 degrees with coped top; C19 parapet gable to left. Attached archway with moulded Tudor head and weathered top coping (similar to gateway to south, q.v.). The Stirrups has much C19 or C20 mullioned fenestration. Tall octagonal stair tower linking The Stirrups to coach-house has spire incorporating small belfry. Square-headed doorways with pointed-arched recesses above and machicolated gablet over each to spire are set on opposite sides of tower at 45 degrees to courtyard; one doorway inscribed SSM 1872. Six segmental-arched openings to coach-house face stable courtyard; projecting timber brackets formerly supported canopy. Three parapet gabled loft dormers now serve flats; central has 3 stepped lights. Ends of coach-house have moulded gable-mounted chimneys. North west side of coach-house has buttressed wall with mullioned iron casements and
dormers. Altered range on opposite side of courtyard is not of special interest. The tall spire and the irregular roof line add to the accumulation of turrets and pinnacles at Stanley Park (q.v.).
(N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 242-257)
Listing NGR: SO8303003819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings