This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6868 / 51°41'12"N
Longitude: -2.3873 / 2°23'14"W
OS Eastings: 373321
OS Northings: 198737
OS Grid: ST733987
Mapcode National: GBR 0LS.97Q
Mapcode Global: VH951.KVST
Plus Code: 9C3VMJP7+P3
Entry Name: Piers Court
Listing Date: 2 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131575
Location: Stinchcombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Civil Parish: Stinchcombe
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stinchcombe St Cyr
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 NW STINCHCOMBE WOTTON ROAD
3/122 (west side)
Large detached dwelling. Principally late C18, but incorporates earlier house
probably C16. Palladian block rendered to parapet and with fluted frieze band, hipped
tiled roof, large stacks with moulded caps and skirts; north front, two storeys,
2+3+2-windowed, all original sashes with glazing bars, central 3 bays in slightly
brought forward section with sediment supported by doric pilasters, central 6-panel
fielded door in Doric open pedimented doorcase having frieze with rosettes. Return,
right prominent half-octagonal bay plus three windowed front, all good sashes as north
face, and one bay return linking to lower wing in rubble with ashlar stack, latter
known as Piers Cottage. South wing, parallel with but slightly offset to Palladian
wing, rendered, to parapet with large ball finials, stone slate roof and ashlar stack;
two storeys, 3-windowed, small 2-light casements at second floor, 2-light sashes with
glazing bars, first and ground floors, all with stone cills; plank and batten door
centrally in broad C16 wave and ovolo mould wood frame.
Interior of older section with heavy chamfered stopped beams, some box timber framing
in wall at interfce between new and old, and bell in opening to west gable - said to
have summoned Court formerly held in what is now Piers Cottage; C18 section has
generous stone staircase with stick balusters and swept mahogany rail, and many
contemorary shutters and doors.
Piers Court was the home of Evelyn Waugh from January 1937 to October 1956.
Listing NGR: ST7332198737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings