This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9133 / 51°54'47"N
Longitude: 0.6 / 0°35'59"E
OS Eastings: 578922
OS Northings: 227059
OS Grid: TL789270
Mapcode National: GBR QJX.2HD
Mapcode Global: VHJJC.C51L
Entry Name: Boultwood's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305727
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116295
Location: Stisted, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Stisted
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Stisted All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 72 NE STISTED RAYNE HATCH
1/276 Boultwood's Farmhouse
House. C17, altered in early C19. Timber framed, mainly clad with red brick in
Flemish bond, partly plastered, roofed with slate. Main range of 3 bays facing
SE, with axial stack one bay from right end, and stack in left end wall. C17
service range to rear of right end. Early C19 wing to rear of left end, canted
to left. Single-storey lean-to extension between rear ranges. 2 storeys and
cellar. 2 full-height splayed bays of sashes of 8, 12 and 8 lights, with some
crown glass. Central first-floor sash of 6 lights with semi-circular head.
Central 6-panel door (4 fielded, bottom panels flush), doorcase with engaged
fluted columns, altered capitals, and shallow canopy. Projecting eaves, hipped
roof of shallow pitch. The left return has one early C19 sash of 16 lights in a
segmental arch, and a 6-panel door (4 fielded, bottom panels flush) in doorcase
with panelled jambs and soffit, and fanlight with cast iron radial tracery. The
rear elevation of the left wing has a full-height bow of curved sashes. The
main range has chamfered axial beams (partly boxed in), some exposed heavy
studding with primary straight bracing in the rear wall, an early C19 stair with
wreathed handrail and stick balusters, a grey and white marble fire surround,
and several C17 and C18 doors. Original oak floorboards on first floor. Well
in cellar. The rear left wing has a white marble fire surround with paterae,
and reeded doorcases with paterae. The ground-floor bow has curved folding
shutters and reeded jambs; the first-floor bow has a reeded surround with
paterae. Early C19 cast iron grates in all hearths at left end of house. The
rear right wing has been reduced from 2 storeys to one storey, and has a
corrugated asbestos roof; chamfered axial beams, exposed joists of vertical
section. The will of John Bolthood in 1471 is mentioned by P. Morant, The
History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 394.
Listing NGR: TL7892227059
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings