This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7302 / 51°43'48"N
Longitude: -2.3773 / 2°22'38"W
OS Eastings: 374038
OS Northings: 203564
OS Grid: SO740035
Mapcode National: GBR 0L6.KRK
Mapcode Global: VH94V.RS20
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131511
Location: Slimbridge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2
Civil Parish: Slimbridge
Built-Up Area: Slimbridge
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Slimbridge St John Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 70 SW SLIMBRIDGE ST JOHN'S ROAD
1/82 (east side)
Church of St John the
listed as Church of St
Anglican Parish Church. Early C13, but west tower, spire, and chancel late C13, nave
aisle windows C15, and clearstorey windows 1845 by Francis Niblett. Constructed in
fine Cotswold oolite, also much tufa, and plinth to south side plus clearstorey walls
in marlstone; nave roof stone slates at very low pitch, chancel Welsh slate, n aisle
in copper sheet. West tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles in four bays,
deep chancel, two-storey south porch and two storey sacrisy north side of chancel.
Nave parapet with pierced interlocking mouchette pattern, south aisle and porch with
parapet and ball flower string course with prominent gargoyles. Nave windows 3-light
perpendicular, chancel 2-light decorated and 3-light to east end. Good 2-leaf plank
doors with strap hinges, inner porch doorway round-headed and with continuous trefoil
leaf carved surround. Three-stage tower, pinnacles at 45°, open C14 parapet,
octagonal spire with lunettes on cardinal faces. West face of tower 3-light window
flanked by niches linked by drip, over C19 door, at second stage triple niche and
various carved shields, above string elongated quatrefoil in rectangular panel above
square clock face, 2-light C14 baby light. Diagonal buttresses with 5 offsets plus
plinth; stair clamp north-east corner.
Interior: four-bay nave with rich moulded trumpet capitals over keeled shafts,
arch-braced roof with traceried trusses, lean-to aisle roofs. Series 12 carbed angels
heads in north aisle and 16 south aisle. Very lofty tower arch, and above this
opening with pierced balustrade of C19; octopartite tower vault in stone.
Clearstorey walls in ashlar, with flat 4-centred arches to 3-light C19 windows; wall
below plastered. In chancel sedilia under stopped string, piscina in south wall and
north; pointed barrel plastered ceiling with C19 carved cornice. Some remains of
mediaeval galss in east window, north aisle. Floors quarry tile, C19 pews. Jacobean
hexagonal pulpit, oak eagle lectern, lead font bowl of 1664 on stone base, some
This is a very coherent and important church. David Verey suggests that it is
"Probably the best example in the county of the Early Gothic Style of the C13".
Verey, D. B/E Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, p 339.
See also good photographic record of capitals in NMR.
Listing NGR: SO7404003564
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings