This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0353 / 51°2'7"N
Longitude: -3.6384 / 3°38'18"W
OS Eastings: 285214
OS Northings: 127490
OS Grid: SS852274
Mapcode National: GBR L9.H42K
Mapcode Global: FRA 368C.VQV
Plus Code: 9C3R29P6+4J
Entry Name: Church of St Petrock
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97401
Location: West Anstey, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: West Anstey
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Anstey St Petrock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
WEST ANSTEY WEST ANSTEY
SS 82 NE
2/52 Church of St Petrock
Parish Church. Probably C14 core to nave and chancel, remodelled in C15. West
tower, mid C15, and late C15/early C16 north aisle. Re-roofed 1842. Major
restoration of 1879 by William White. Unrendered stone rubble, tower roughly
coursed. Slate roofs with clay ridge tiles and gable end.
Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch.
Exterior: west tower of 2 stages, with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, and
north-east polygonal stair turret. Cusped-headed 2-light bell-openings to each
face. Statue niche on south side. Perpendicular 3-light west window above pointed
arched doorway with Pevsner 'B' type moulded surround. Nave, chancel and north
aisle have entirely C19 Decorated style fenestration, of 3 and 4 lights to nave, 2
lights and single light to south side of chancel, 3 lights to east end of nave and
north aisle, and 3 of 2 lights to north side of aisle. Gabled south porch with C19
shaped bargeboards and outer door of 2 leaves. Perpendicular style wagon roof with
curved motifs along the crenellated wall plate and curved bosses at the
intersections of the ribs. Hollow moulded surround to pointed arched inner doorway
with original ledged plank door and old lock and iron handle.
Interior: C19 roofs throughout. Crown-post to nave, arch-braced to nave. North
aisle arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'A' type piers and standard leaf capitals. In
the C19 an inner bay was added to the chancel. C14 ogee-headed piscina in south
wall of chancel. Altar table and reredos 1879. Tiled floors, some late medieval
tiles survive in the north aisle. C19 pulpit. 3 C16 benches with elaborately
carved bench-ends survive to rear of nave. Tall wave moulded C15 tower arch. C12
font with lead lined circular bowl, with thick cable moulding round the base and
palmette and dog-tooth patterning above. Unusual tower arch screen made up of the
hollow-chamfered ceiling beam re-used as a headrail and its joists with run-out
stops forming the muntins. Beam and joists are painted with chevron and patterned
decorations. The timbers are said to have come from the chapel near Town Farm, West
Anstey, demolished in C19. Fragments of medieval stained glass survive in the south
chancel window, otherwise C19 coloured glass in all the windows.
Listing NGR: SS8521427490
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings