This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2778 / 50°16'39"N
Longitude: -3.7974 / 3°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 272025
OS Northings: 43523
OS Grid: SX720435
Mapcode National: GBR QG.526N
Mapcode Global: FRA 28Y9.6G5
Entry Name: Roke
Listing Date: 19 February 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100894
Location: West Alvington, South Hams, Devon, TQ7
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: West Alvington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: West Alvington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 74 SW
G. V. II
House, formerly vicarage. Late C18 remodelling and enlarging of an earlier
undateable house, further extended in circa 1857. Walls of slatestone rubble,
roughly coursed at the front. Hipped slate roof. 2 brick axial stacks.
Plan: the rooms are arranged around 4 sides of a square with a small well at the
centre formed by a lobby containing the back stairs which have probably been
moved, On the north side of the square is the earliest part of the house, divided from the rest of it by a thick wall and extending as a wing at the rear. Its original room arrangement is unclear but evidently when the house was remodelled it became the kitchen and service end, and consists of a range of rooms opening off a corridor. The east side of the house is the garden front and contains 3 rooms, the largest is at the south end opening off the entrance hall; behind it is another sizeable room and beyond that is a smaller room actually contained in the older part of the house. The west side of the house contains one large room, which may formerly have been two, with a small wing leading off it. The south side has the entrance and stairhall between the 2 rooms running back from it, but the whole of this front was built out in 1857.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front with 2-storey gabled porch and integral single storey flat roof extension either side of it, all dating from 1857. These have 4-pane sash windows and a C20 6-panel door at the centre. The windows of the original front still survive on the first floor and are 2-light casements in ogee headed openings with intersecting tracery in the heads. Set back from the left-hand side of this front a small wing extends to the left with an overhanging slate-hung first floor. This also has an ogee-headed window on its first floor at the front, with a similar shaped doorway below. The almost symmetrical eastern garden front is 5 windows wide and a straight joint before the right-hand end windows marks the join between old (to the right) and newer parts of the house. The windows are all ogee-headed, those on the ground floor extend to ground level. Along this front is a circa early Victorian verandah on wooden columns. The irregular right-hand elevation of the house has circa early C19 12 and 16-pane hornless sashes and is slate hung to the rear where it extends as a wing.
Interior: simple features of the late C18 or early C19 such as 6-panel doors,
simple decorative ceiling band in drawing room, panelled shutters and staircase
with column newels, stick balusters and decorative tread ends. This is a good
quality example of a vicarage which has been little altered this century and
retains many of its unusually shaped, late C18, windows.
Listing NGR: SX7202543523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings